What if I can't find Cya?

Hi,
I'm out of country and here is impossible to find CYA. What can I used instead that.
I have a 9' 10" x 16'4"rectangular frame pool (like the framed index) 2113 gal.
This pool doesn't have filter pump but I bought a krystal clear 603 and I'm gonna cut the two holes to make it work. I have the bleach but im not sure what happens if I don't have the cya to estabilizer the water.
Thank you for you help

CYA is CYA and, to my knowledge, there is no substitute for it. Can you get tri-chlor pucks? Tri-chlor powder?

Without some form of CYA, you will lose your chlorine at an alarming rate.

im not sure what happens if I don't have the cya to estabilizer the water.
Read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry in Pool School.

I think he means out in the country...away from the city.

If so, next time you're in town Alan, most places like Walmart or hardware stores that sell pool chems will have it.

EDIT: Wait! Your profile says CO. Please change that to Argentina if that's where you are.

Thanks to all
I'm in Argentina and here the only things that I can find is clarifier, alguicide, shock and tablets.
So, if i find dichlor or trichlor the ph is going to go up or down? What do you sugest to use it? Should I convine it with bleach?
pH will go down with dichlor or trichlor. If you look at Poolmath and enter your numbers in the table, then scroll down to "Effects of Adding Chemicals" you can get a pretty good estimate of what will happen.

For pool your size, you could use just about anything to chlorinate. If CH or CYA buildup gets too bad, a partial drain is not a huge ordeal. Unless water is scarce or expensive where you live.

Well he's way out in the country compared to me !!

Searched and didn't find anything useful to help you on sourcing some but hopefully someone will have an idea.

pH will go down with dichlor or trichlor. If you look at Poolmath and enter your numbers in the table, then scroll down to "Effects of Adding Chemicals" you can get a pretty good estimate of what will happen.

For pool your size, you could use just about anything to chlorinate. If CH or CYA buildup gets too bad, a partial drain is not a huge ordeal. Unless water is scarce or expensive where you live.

Hi Richard
When you said anything to chlorinate, what do you suggest is the best, only bleach every night?
Or add dichlor or trichlor?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't forget that CYA is also called "stabilizer" or "conditioner". If you can't find it, then the fastest way to build up CYA is to use Dichlor which is also called chlorinating granules. For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm. If you aren't in a hurry, then you can use Trichlor pucks/tabs where for every 10 ppm FC they increase CYA by 6 ppm. As for what is "best", you'll have the best swimming experience if you are able go get CYA built up at least some and then when it reaches a reasonable level for your area then switch over to using bleach. Since the pool is so small, just using Trichlor pucks/tabs isn't a big problem since the CYA can be readily diluted by water replacement.

Since Trichlor is quite acidic, you will need to add some sort of pH Up product to maintain the pH. You probably don't have access to Borax so the pH Up from the pool store will likely be sodium carbonate and that would be what you would use to manage the pH when using Trichlor pucks/tabs.

Hi Richard
When you said anything to chlorinate, what do you suggest is the best, only bleach every night?
Or add dichlor or trichlor?
There are too many variables to say. I have absolutely no idea what water, bleach, or powdered chlorines cost where you are, nor how easy they are to come by, nor what the fill water is like. If you have really "hard" water, where you're constantly adding acid to adjust pH, trichlor pucks would be great, Cal-hypo would not. If you're already having to raise pH, then Cal-hypo or bleach might be cheapest.

Have you ever tested the fill water? Is it expensive?

There are too many variables to say. I have absolutely no idea what water, bleach, or powdered chlorines cost where you are, nor how easy they are to come by, nor what the fill water is like. If you have really "hard" water, where you're constantly adding acid to adjust pH, trichlor pucks would be great, Cal-hypo would not. If you're already having to raise pH, then Cal-hypo or bleach might be cheapest.

The water is really hard. Expensive but for this size of the pool there is no problem.
I'm filing the pool tonight. Tomorrow night Im gonna turn on the filter pump and the add the bleach. How should I do next?
I'm mean next days? Trichlor in tablets?
Thank you

Adjust pH and add chlorine. If the water is high pH and high in TA, then chlorinate with dichlor or trichlor until CYA reaches the right level then switch to bleach. Whatever chlorine you add will be gone within a couple hours unless it is protected by some CYA. A whole lot of this will make sense once you start doing it: testing, dosing, checking results.

Adjust pH and add chlorine. If the water is high pH and high in TA, then chlorinate with dichlor or trichlor until CYA reaches the right level then switch to bleach. Whatever chlorine you add will be gone within a couple hours unless it is protected by some CYA. A whole lot of this will make sense once you start doing it: testing, dosing, checking results.

Hi Richard thanks
So the schedule everyday is test chlorine and ph, adjust it, add bleach and di or trichlor in tablets? (This until I reach Cya target) or only tablets? How much?
Should I add bleach the first time or only the tablets in the floater?
Thank you and sorry the confusion is that last summer in us your method help to keep the water all season in great condition with bleach and Cya once at beginning, and I'm scare using tablets. So I want to do it right again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.