SWG and Chloring/Bromine feeder

Jan 15, 2015
San Diego
Our house had a pool with SWG and we're working on trying to maintain ourselves. One question I have is why there is a chlorine/bromine feeder - thought the SWG produces the chlorine for the pool?? Can someone provide some info as why the system would have this as well? Should we be keeping it stocked with chlorine tabs? Is there a difference between bromine/chlorine (besides chemical compound) or is one ok/not ok to use with SWG? Not sure what was in it before - does it matter if I switch? Sorry for all the questions, just figured I'd get them out there at once. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP!

It is very common for there to be a chlorine tablet feeder from back when the pool was installed, even if a SWG is subsequently installed. You simply don't put any chlorine tablets in the feeder as long as the SWG is working correctly. The tablet feeder may com in handy at some point, for example if the SWG breaks down you could use the tablet feeder while having the SWG repaired.

99% of feeders are used for chlorine tablets. Unless you see old containers of bromine tablets, I would assume it was used for chlorine tablets. You never want to mix chlorine tablets with bromine tablets in the same feeder. Likewise you never want to use bromine with a chlorine pool, though the other way around is alright (i.e. you can use chlorine in a bromine pool).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.