Neighbor's pool fountains are so noisy but he says he must have them

Jan 16, 2015
Los Angeles, Ca
I have a touchy situation with my next door neighbor with whom we don't want to endanger our friendly relationship.
He has installed four 5' high water fountains into it to splash into his pool. He says he must do this to aerate the pool. Now we are about 20 feet away and the fountains are very loud in our quiet neighborhood. We moved out here to enjoy the sounds of the birds and squirrels and we can't hear them (or much else) when that's running. They agreed to run it from 3pm on 'til 9pm but it's beginning to irritate me that I can't enjoy my yard during that time.
That said, is it really necessary for them to do this? I've never known anyone else to do it before. Can anyone suggest an alternative way of aerating their pool that I might suggest? Thank you very much in advance.

Re: Neighbor's pool fountains are so noisy but he says he must have them. Can u advis

As noted above, lowering TA is a temporary reason to aerate.

Otherwise, there's no reason to need to aerate on a regular basis. Even when lowering TA, it's not always necessary to aerate.

There are ways to reduce the noise of waterfalls. Making the water a solid sheet hitting the pool surface creates much less noise.

If the water breaks up during its descent, it will splash and churn.

Also, there are other ways to aerate.

Re: Neighbor's pool fountains are so noisy but he says he must have them. Can u advis

Maybe this neighbor could glean a bit of help from this site which would in turn help you? Welcome to the forum.

This is something that is probably more of a lifestyle choice on their part rather than a necessity. They (like my wife) probably enjoy the sound. Time to grab a bottle of wine, walk next door and have a friendly talk.

Welcome to the forum LaurieK :wave:

Can you post a picture of the four fountains ?? I'm guessing it's more for looks and sound than it is for anything functional. Sounds like a lot of work if they were doing it just temporarily. sorry to say.

There are different ways to introduce air into the pool that would be quieter like using the return jet to suck in air or just some PVC pipe that screws into the return but doesn't rise very far off the surface with multiple holes to spray water and cause aeration.
If your neighbor has an air compressor they could also run a hose into the pool then it's just a matter of where to place the compressor so it's noise doesn't become a problem too.

You might need to gently poke around trying to find the reason for the fountains to begin to try and help them with a solution both of you can live with.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 132
  • pool3.jpg
    pool3.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 128
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 128
That is a fantastic idea, James. Thank you for your help! I will pass that along. I love our neighbors and cherish having a good relationship with them. I know they think they have to aerate a lot so I will see how to carefully make some suggestions. Much appreciated. Laurie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Tim, I used to enjoy it, but this is a bit too loud for me. You're right, some people like the sound of noise. I appreciate your vision of an approach too. I love our neighbors and cherish our friendly relationship so let me see what I can do. I must say this site is very helpful! Thank you! Laurie

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.