Houston Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
This is my third pool but first one I ever built. I researched this site extensively to get informaiton and ideas. Our last pool was a free form pool but my wife much prefers the classic lines so we went with a very simple "roman style" pool. Thanks to DoubleD on this site who enlightened me on the City of Houston requirement for detention ponds for property sizes greater than 15K Square Feet. With engineering fees, permits and the construction this requirement is adding about $3,000 to the project. As an added benefit I get a 120 foot by 6 foot wide and 6 inch deep swale along my back property line (note scarasm) due to the fine minds of the City of Houston.

Now I have to got my HOA and convince them that 5 trees need to be removed in order to build my pool. Those people not familar with Kingwood, Texas, it is heavily wooded area north of Houston and they (along with The Woodlands, TX) take their trees very seriously. I suspect I will have to add some new tress to my site but since pines are going to be removed and red oaks going in I think I'm coming out ahead.

Most of the delay has been deciding between spray deck and travertine pavers. We finally decided on travertine pavers. Now with all the rain we have had for the past couple of weeks I suspect my build will be delayed so that they can "catch up" on everyone's build. If I'm lucky it should be ready by the time it just starts to warm up around here which is perfect.

I've noted peoples' advice on this forum. Relax and enjoy the process as much as possible. There will be delays, dirt and mud everywhere but there will be an end to the project. The kids are away at college so at least we won't have them asking everyday, "is the pool done yet". There will be mistakes and unforseen problems. I know this to be the case but I do what to keep it in perspective it is "just a pool". A very expensive toy but a toy nonetheless. I'm not going to accept a shotty job but I've been around long to know that issues will arise. Additional costs are guaranteed and I made sure my wife was fully on board before we signed the contract. I will keep everyone posted on pics, etc. but nothing will probably begin for another 3-4 weeks. In the meantime I will continue to live vicariously through others on this site.

I attached a copy of computer generated pictures for reference.

Attachments

• Pool1.jpg
    Pool1.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,156
  • Pool2.jpg
    Pool2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,145
Looks nice! Do you have some trees or a structure to provide some shade for you?

TexTommyBoy: Pool Dimensions are 30 x 15. The tanning ledge and steps add another 10 feet to the length.

bmoreswim: Absolutely. Most the trees are not shown are are to the right of the pool between my neighbor and me. Those will all stay. That is also the direction the sun rises so the pool does not get sun until around 12 noon. Then it is gone by 3 pm past my roof line. We put in umbrella holders in the tanning ledge since so my wife can sit in a chair and keep her feet cool. In the unlikely event we need more, I've been looking at the sun sails but do not think we will need them. I actually have the opposite problem.

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words. HOA application goes in tomorrow and not much will be happening for a few weeks. But when it does I will post pics, information, etc.

Good luck to all other builders.

We have HOA approval, not bad since it only took 5 days. Our HOA changed the policy the day before our pool application submittal whereby the committee has to visit the site to inspect the location before it can be approved. Also finalized the pool contract to cover things I felt were missing, like providing a certificate of insurance naming my wife and I as additional insureds under their policy, indemnity rights against the PB should any subcontractors attempt to file a lien for nonpayment by PB and a cap on the detention pond that the City of Houston requires for lot sizes greater than 15,000 SqFt.

The tree crew shows up this morning to remove 4 large pines that are in the footprint of the pool. We plan on a complete landscape once the pool is build and in the next couple of weeks will begin that process it can start as soon as the pool is done. Backyard.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sure here you go with Pines cut ready for PB to pull stumps. The lot is a little over 19,000 SQFT. The current raised concrete patio will be removed and 2 steps added down to pool and spa with travertine all around. Hopefully will start next week or week after.Backyard.jpg

Progress!! It has taken 10 weeks but the City of Houston has finally provided the Stormwater letter which is needed before you can submit your stormwater management plan. My engineer will submit the plans for approval today but I understand it could take at least 3 weeks until they are approved. I'm thinking more like 4-5 weeks. If we are lucky we may actually have a shovel in the ground by the end of May. And if the project proceeds as plannned we may have a pool for the very end of the summer. I'm hoping by sometime in August.

The City of Houston permits group is claiming that due to the large numbers of new Houston residents coming into the City they have a large backlog of permits in the system. I'm hearing similar stories from others in my situation so just be prepared.

Don't know how I missed this thread, we are practically neighbors! Love the yard, your pool is going to be gorgeous! And lucky us, here in Houston...we have a long swim season, so you will get to swim and enjoy it through September...and there is always that hot tub too :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.