Need help to decide AGP size and expenses, please!

dck696

Jun 29, 2014
Cedar Hill
I want an above ground pool installed in the spring. I have multiple sclerosis, with minimal problems now. I believe a 18' x 54" pool will be adequate for me, for the following reasons:
1. It's only for me, husband is against a pool and will not use it.
2. I don't know how to swim; I mainly want to float and exercise in it, to keep my strength with MS.
3. I may have family over, but only about two people at a time, occasionally.
4. I need to keep expenses down, when purchasing and maintaining (I am on disability).

I went to a popular pool company in Nashville, and learned that a 24' pool is the most popular size sold. We have a very large yard; is an 18' adequate for me? The salesman was very nice, encouraging me to go with the salt water system (Permasalt), and a filter cartridge, for ease of maintenance. Also he advised a 24' pool, because an excellent warranty can be provided on it. Any opinions?

Lastly, I know the added cost of chemicals. What is your opinion of the average my electric bill will go up monthly, with the pump running 24/7?

Thank you so much for any and all advice, opinions, and help!

Welcome the the forum!

Normally I would suggest a bigger size, but it sounds like a smaller one might be easier for you given the circumstances. Chemicals won't be all that much more, but ease of maintenance might be a bigger consideration.

I don't know about the average run cost, but you will not need to run the pump 24/7 by any means.

I sure wouldn't bet on hubby not wanting to use it once it's up! The difference in cost from running a 24' pool compared to an 18' pool in terms of chemicals, pump run times, and overall maintenance is going to be very minimal. I have MS as well, but as we know, your mileage may vary! I'd opt for the larger one. A salt water generator will make your life easier. Welcome!

Go with the biggest you can afford. You will never regret a bigger pool, but you will regret a pool that is too small. It won't cost much more to maintain the bigger pool. The salt chlorinator(SWG) will make the pool easier to maintain. Make sure whichever brand you get is rated for 2-3 times the size of your pool so you can run it less and make it last longer. Don't let them oversize the pump. It will just cost you more money to run. The pump run time will be significantly less than 24/7. Probably as low as 6-8 hours a day. If you go with the cartridge filter, oversize it so you don't have to clean it as often. Most importantly: read through pool school, and order one of the recommended test kits. If you follow the recommendations on this site, you will have a trouble free pool that will cost much less to maintain than if you listen to the pool store.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.