First Pool 2nd Season Build

Using a paint scraper and mallet mark out each paver in the sand. Remove the frame and the pavers then chisel out each square for the pavers to sit in. I put these about half way into the ground. I wanted to fill the area with more sand up to the level of the pavers. Make sure each paver is level (i.e. perpendicular to plumb, by adding or removing sand as required, and checking with a small level) as well as all level with each other. Using the 4’ level I made sure the paver I was doing was level to the last. Instead of going all the way round however, I went half way around then started from the 1st paver again and went the other way. Less propagation of errors. A final check between the last 2 showed them to be level with each other. Also make sure each paver is sitting solid and not wobbling around.

32_zps0ef773b9.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

more pics....

33_zps22c5b10b.jpg

34_zps220cc8f4.jpg

Final levelling. More sand brought in and basically repeat previous levelling (i.e spinning the 2x4 around the centre) to get the sand up to the level of the pavers. Making sure to compact along the way (wet and tamp/roll then dry). Important also to not accidently move the pavers as you move (scrape) the 2x4 over them whilst levelling the sand. Requires muscle at times and fine touch at others. These posts and pics all here together in hindsight make it look easy, but this is hard, time consuming work, especially when it's 30 deg C and the sun is beating down on you.

35_zps23929f1e.jpg

Landscaping. This is as far as I’d planned so we were making things up from here. I removed the stakes I’d used to fix the border as they stuck up too far. Then we thought the border itself stuck up too far and we would trip over it so I cut it down with an angle grinder to about an inch above ground level (ground level on the grass side), then secured the border back in with garden edging pegs (which don't stick up - they hook over the edging). I then cut the tarp at the corners to keep it within the bordered area. We then knew we had to cover the sand around the pool with something else it would get eroded with the splashing (not that it's got anywhere to go really but it would mess it up). I would have liked stones but we thought they weren’t a good choice with an 8 year old and his mates using the pool frequently. We settled for synth grass, which I had to cut to shape and peg down. I intend to remove any remaining tarp that isn’t under the pool as it holds the water (not being permeable), then install some more synth grass for it to be completed.

43_zps639af61c.jpg

44_zps32445d55.jpg

45_zps9a1b1369.jpg

Hi Laceygirl. Yes we are enjoying it very much. Some evenings in the last few weeks the water has been almost warm. The best part is the maintenance has been so easy this season. An adequate pump helps a lot. Chemistry I got the hang of last year and has been really easy so far this season. I do need to get another filter cartridge though.

What I intend to do:

1. Dig out the grass under the hoses and lay a permeable surface so I don’t have to remove the hoses to mow the grass there.
2. Create some storage for pool equipment and toys. Have started on this.

What I would do different next time:

1. Not have so much space between pool and border (I made it 12” but 6” would be better). At least I think.
2. Instead of positioning pavers so as to be centred under the vertical parts of the top frame (i.e. the top of the legs) I would position them back (i.e. further out), as when the pool is full the legs kick out about 2”. So currently the feet are sitting near the back of each paver (although they haven’t moved at all in 2 months),
3. Some other permeable ground sheet would be better than a tarp. Gorilla Pad etc. I don't really know. I just didn’t get time to research and find the right product. I just don't like the thought that there's water trapped between the pool liner and the tarp.

Anyway, been 2 months since putting the pool up and it's going well. Am spending much less time maintaining it than last year. I think a decent pump (for the size of the pool) helps a lot.

Oh yeah, and there's already talk of getting a bigger pool........:rolleyes:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's the (proper) way to do it :) - looks really great. I've got a little rectangular Bestway pool and we've used the same heavy duty tarp underneath. This is my first year with a pool and after reading all the posts, it's really clear that getting everything level and flat is the way to set up properly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.