Anyone Had Success In Lining a Fiberglass Pool With A Vinyl Liner?

etbrown4

Feb 24, 2012
I have a 10 year old inground fiberglass pool where the gelcoat is in pool condition.

I am considering installing a vinyl liner.

There are retrofit tracks or channels made which will allow for the conversion to vinyl. The track is installed at the top inside edge of the pool.

I know you cam apply epoxy paint to a pool and that you can re-apply gelcoat. Both processes are controversial and have very mixed results.

I would like to know if any folks have tried, or know others who have tried this kind of vinyl conversion and how it worked out.

Putting vinyl liners in plaster pools that are leaking comes up now and then. I haven't heard of anyone doing the same thing with a fiberglass pool, but the procedure and results should be extremely similar. In plaster pools this works quite well as long as the plaster surface is reasonably smooth (no sharp edges, giant cracks, etc). The only real disadvantage is that the track that holds the top edge of the liner almost always looks a little out of place.

I've just posted pictures of mine.... still not really sure what I have, but putting a vinyl liner inside of the fiberglass walls was recommended by two different companies. As you can see, "painting" is not a really good option for bad gelcoat.... If you recognize what I have, please post to MY thread. I'm not trying to hijack this one, but thought I might show the problems of a "Plan B" solution.....

http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/ewkearns/slideshow/

Putting vinyl liners in plaster pools that are leaking comes up now and then. I haven't heard of anyone doing the same thing with a fiberglass pool, but the procedure and results should be extremely similar. In plaster pools this works quite well as long as the plaster surface is reasonably smooth (no sharp edges, giant cracks, etc). The only real disadvantage is that the track that holds the top edge of the liner almost always looks a little out of place.

Yes i agree that the track might look a little out of place, but assuming I can get it in a white finish, it hopefully should blend pretty well with my white fiberglass. I can get a 12x24 basic liner 20 mil bottom and 28 mil walls for about $450 and one with 4 full width steps for about $790 plus installation.

Here's the link to one track supplier Cardinal Plastics. It is the QP521 or side mount. No doubt there are other mfg's and other designs too. http://cardinalsystemsinc.com/product-category/pools/liner-track/page/2/

I would sure like to see pics of an installed job somewhere, or to learn of others successes with this approach.

I've googled every search term I can think of and nothing shows up regarding vinyl liners in fiberglass pools! Can the application be this rare?

Most generally fiberglass pools aren't lined with vinyl since you will have to dig up and install new returns and or main drains. Your best bet usually is to have the gel coat reapplied. There is a new finish product out called ecofinish. It is applied with a special applicator gun and looks to be quite the finish. I am going next week to learn more about their process and system.

Most generally fiberglass pools aren't lined with vinyl since you will have to dig up and install new returns and or main drains. Your best bet usually is to have the gel coat reapplied. There is a new finish product out called ecofinish. It is applied with a special applicator gun and looks to be quite the finish. I am going next week to learn more about their process and system.

Not sure about a problem with returns or drains. From the liner replacement installation videos I've seen, they just show the drain cover being removed, the liner goes in, and they trim out the vinyl at the drain opening by 'feeling for the hole through the vinyl' and reinstall the drain cover with maybe 6-8 screws.

Since returns don't have the same kind of covers with screws, possibly there is not as good a way to cut them open and re-install them where they will be water tight.....and that's why I'm trying to "look before I take the leap!" Tips there would be appreciated.

The Austrailan site clearly shows track and liners made to re-line a variety of differently constructed pools thought I could not find a specific reference to vinyl.

As one other poster mentioned, there have been many Gunnite pools re-lined with vinyl, with apparently pretty good success. Anyone know of a reason that re-lining a fiberglass would be much different?

Simply installing vinyl with the existing drain/return fittings will never work. The fittings shown in those videos have already been replaced with vinyl liner appropriate fittings. Replacing the fittings is a necessary part of the process. As I said before, this approach is rare, but is occasionally done, and can work. However, it is almost never worth it. Refinishing the fiberglass will almost always end up being less expensive and give a better end result.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've done a lot of research on fiberglass refinishing with pools and it is very controversial due to chlorine exposure, with a wide array of approaches tried and highly variable outcomes. Even the re-application of gelcoat is generally not recommended. Most chemists at the gelcoat manufacturers say not to try. They say you can't use the same resin used in pool factories as it's a multi-layer process, and it turns out that the under layer is key. They say if you try gelcoat only it will likely fail, chalk and peel. The success rate with many epoxy paints is even more checkered and dubious - despite their claims.

So back to liner. It is a surface you can count on and won't peel flake or chip, though the life is finite. One real challenge seems the measurements. With sloping walls and radius at the bottom and sides, at the corners, and at all steps it's a lot!

On the subject pool we have 1.5" female threaded return ports. Not sure if the threaded portion is flush or if it protrudes a little.

Does anyone know of a link to a site which would have the correct ports we might have to switch to? Seems likely it would call for the same ports needed for Gunnite converted to vinyl, and surely many hundreds of those have been converted, if not more.

It is a Hayward number sp 14xx I think. Right now I am drawing a blank. You will have to dig up the plumbing under the deck to put these in. There are companies that refinish fiberglass I will try to forward some of their website info to you.

It is a Hayward number sp 14xx I think. Right now I am drawing a blank. You will have to dig up the plumbing under the deck to put these in. There are companies that refinish fiberglass I will try to forward some of their website info to you.

Please forward to me, as well..... I'm looking at the same problem and none of the companies I have approached have responded.

It is a Hayward number sp 14xx I think. Right now I am drawing a blank. You will have to dig up the plumbing under the deck to put these in.

Thanks for the tip with a little more specifics on the return fitting.

As far as digging up concrete, in order to replace return plumbing that's something that I won't be doing - new liner or not. My fiberglass is holding water nicely, and will continue to - either way. Though I may have to come up with a custom round flange or faceplate.

If you think about it, in its' most basic form a liner would just at a 28 mill new pool interior surface. A new gel coat (though controversial in terms of longevity) would also add something like another 10-15 mill coating to the inside surface. Since the fiberglass holds water, if I can find a return fitting which works with the current plumbing and the vinyl I'll use it. Otherwise I plan to trim neatly around each return and generously silicone the vinyl to the pool wall around the returns - possibly adding a custom round flange ring and gasket screwed to the wall With the main drain I'll do the same thing except there I will also remove the grill, trim out the opening, silicone vinyl to the fiberglass, and re-attach the grill. Update... one liner expert says silicone may not last in chlorinated water! (if true, I may have to find an alternative)

Like the plan with the returns, one liner manufacturers suggests that the blunt end of the liner which will terminate at the steps, be Siliconed there to the pool wall on either side and base of the steps, and terminated with a custom face plate material. A similar technique is apparently used when free standing plastic steps by Quaker Plastics are incorporated into a liner pool. In that case, Quaker makes a proprietary track which extends around the perimeter of the face and vertical sides of the steps when it meets the liner and that track has a gasket and seals it. It's applied with ss screws.

Without covering the steps at the shallow end, I can do this for about $450, so it seems I have little to loose and lots to gain...potentially.

I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone with experience retrofiting concrete or fiberglass pools with liners! I will be mostly swayed by any actual field reports, because there just has to be real world experience out there which could benefit many of us!

I started this thread in 2012, so that's 10 years. I have several beach rental homes and have successfully converted 2 fiberglass pools to vinyl liners. Now starting on #3.

Many neighbors have tried every Epoxy or other guaranteed coating on fiberglass for up to $8000 and all have peeled, bubbled or failed.

Each pool might be different, but we changed NO plumbing or ports. Just trimmed out the vinyl and replaced the faceplate just as they were.

I started this thread in 2012, so that's 10 years. I have several beach rental homes and have successfully converted 2 fiberglass pools to vinyl liners. Now starting on #3.

Many neighbors have tried every Epoxy or other guaranteed coating on fiberglass for up to $8000 and all have peeled, bubbled or failed.

Each pool might be different, but we changed NO plumbing or ports. Just trimmed out the vinyl and replaced the faceplate just as they were.
Thank u for updating.
This is great to hear! It’s nice to know the option exists for those in that situation.

I would love to see some before and after pictures if you have them.

I'm curious what faceplates the original pools had, originally above ground fittings were used and now there are more durable fittings specifically for fiberglass. There isn't any way to remove the new faceplates that isn't destructive, however. Do you have pictures of that process as well?

I would love to see some pictures of the results. Any other tips or tricks we should know before we begin? Where did you get your liners? We also have several rentals but are working on our home pool.

I am definitely interested in any more specific info you can provide including pics of putting a vinyl liner over a fiberglass pool shell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.