CYA level recommended for Salt Water Pool in Palm Springs, CA

Jan 2, 2015
Palm Springs, CA
I just purchased a house that has a pool and haven't any experience other than what I have been reading here.

I read in the Water Balance for SWGs topic in the pool school that CYA level should be kept at 70 - 80 and mine is about 35.

When I went to the local Leslies to purchase the CYA to add to raise the level, he recommended that I keep it at the lower level. His reasons were that since we are in the desert with daily temps in the 120's the pool water will routinely get to 100 degrees.

He said that because of the high water temperature we have to keep our CYA lower or it will cause the calcium to build up on the surfaces. We have very high levels of calcium in our water. Mine is currently at 590.

Does this sound right?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Of course it does not sound right ... it was spoken by a pool store employee ;)

They are absolutely wrong. Why would adding CYA make calcium scaling happen? You control calcium scaling by keeping your pH in line.

In fact, with a CYA too low, you will have to run the SWG more to maintain adequate FC. The more the SWG runs, the faster your pH will rise and lead to calcium scaling more quickly.

My recommendation:
1. Order the TF-100 test kit from poolsupplyworld
2. Read the forum and ask questions.
3. Avoid the pool store.

Hello, and welcome to TFP!

I'd like to start off by saying I would NEVER return to that employee ever! None of that sounds right. While reading the pool stores recommendations, the scene from Billy Madison came into my head...........
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Please, stay away from them! Far away!!

To start you on your way to taking control of your own pool, I would suggest reading the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and ordering the TF-100. This will give you a starting point that we can build on.

To gain a head start on taking control of YOUR pool water, I'd like to ask you a quick question. What does your water look like? Can you post a photo?

Welcome once again to TFP!

Welcome to TFP !
I just want to echo what the other's have said.
Read the ABC's of water chemistry in Pool School. It's the best place to start and then check out the article on How To Chlorinate Your Pool Water.
Next invest in the TF100 test kit.
Stick with the methods taught here and you will have a trouble free pool !
Hope you enjoy the forum

Welcome to the forum.

Also, keep in mind that you are often speaking to someone who's never owned or even managed a pool.

If you want to learn, all the information you need is here, and we enjoy helping people who want to do that.

Thanks, I couldn't see how the CYA level would be affected by water temperature or how that that would influence calcium deposit either. But I figured this forum would know.

- - - Updated - - -

The water looks really good right now and seems very clear. The water temperature is in 50s right now so not being used.

Higher cyanuric acid levels will actually buffer pH rise, which reduces the likelihood of scaling. CYA provides a non-carbonate form of TA and works in a similar way to using borates.

In addition, at the same TA, your calcite saturation index is lower with a higher CYA.

Hi IsaacFL!

Welcome to TFP!

I agree with the others. Ya know, collectively, there is literally many hundreds of of years (if not 1000's) of pool owner/ maintenance experience here at TFP. If anyone knows what they are talking about, these folks do!

have fun with that pool!

With all that said, be cautious of buying ur CYA. They will want to sell u the premixed which is very expensive saying the powder is difficult to apply. Get a sock for your powder and place in your skimmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.