Need Help picking new pump.

Jan 13, 2015
Trabuco Canyon CA
Hey guys new to the forum and pools. Ive started helping my mom take care of her pool recently and the pump has just died. Its a American Products Ultra-Flo 2hp Pump about 16years old and on its second motor. So I'm looking to install a new more efficient pump and need some directions were to start. i.e. brand and size, two speed or vs.

The pool is 17K in-ground w/Spa and waterfalls. The current pump runs all of it with different valves to direct flow. The pool has one main drain that is tied into the skimmer and vac. Normal pump flow takes water from the pool threw the filter then back into the spa that over flows in to the pool. Or you can take the flow away from the spa and have two waterfalls dump into the pool.

Thanks,

Hi and welcome to TFP.
well, for sure you probably should consider a Variable Speed Pump. They are very efficient and with the electric rates in CA, worth looking at.

Pentair, Hayward, and Jandy all make comparable products and all are good quality.
If you have an automatic controller, to control the pool equipment and those valves, you are well off staying with whatever the brand the controller is, otherwise, there will probably be some communication issues. Otherwise, pick whichever one you like best.

Im probably not the best resource for how many HP the pump should be, but Im sure someone more knowledgeable about that will come along shortly. I can only go by my personal experience with mine.

FWIW, even though my pool really doesnt require a big VS pump, I have the 3 HP Pentair, and I love it!
It can produce a lot of GPM if I want to and if I dont, I can run it very slow speed for cheap, just to filter the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.