Programming Hayward sp3400vsp and spa heater repair

Jan 13, 2015
phoenix, az
Hi all,
1st time poster.

I just had a hayward sp3400vsp pump put in. I previously had a single speed 3450 rpm pump that was running about 8 hours at night.
I live in Phoenix with a peak off peak electricity plan. (My peak cost time is noon-7pm so I would like to avoid usage during this time). I would like to optimize the settings for this pump. The installer has it 1750 rpm for 8 hrs and 2850 for 4 hours. All off peak rate. My skimmer is about 50 feet from the pump. I have an attached spa with its own pump. I also have thepoolcleaner in pool vacuum so I may need to increase the rate for vacuum usage as needed.

Also my spa heater was not functional. The pump installer took a look at it and said it was due to some animal eating up the internal wires. He wants to charge me about $300 to fix the pump and $150 to put wires around it to prevent that from happening again. Does this seem like a fair price?

Thanks for your help,

Jerry

Welcome to TFP!

12 hours of run time a day is way too much. Assuming you don't have a spa or pool cleaner powered by the circulation pump, then something like 4 hours at 1750 should be plenty of pump run time. Since it is winter and the water is presumably fairly cold, even less than that would do for now. It looks like you do have a pool cleaner powered by the main pump, so you will want to run at a higher speed, the lowest speed that still gets reasonable movement from the pool cleaner, for one to four hours a day. Then run at a lower speed for the remainder of the time to make a total of four hours.

The ideal run time varies a bit from pool to pool, so don't hesitate to experiment some and see how things turn out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.