Feedback on going from a 'bot to a Polaris 380

kevreh

Bronze Supporter
Jun 2, 2007
Annandale, VA
I know it seems counter-intuitive, but I'm thinking of replacing my Aquabot. It does a decent job of cleaning, but my biggest gripes;
- Hose always gets tangled, even though I switch the handle. I know this is supposed to happen, but every time I use it I need to untangle the cord. I already replaced one at $175 cause it got tangled and was ruined when the 'bot ran over and tried to eat it.
- Seems like the bag on the polaris would be easier to clean than the aquabot's canister system.
- You have to/should remove the 'bot when swimming. Its only low voltage, but still.

I like the idea of leaving the Polaris in all the time and the fact you can put them on a timer. Any one else out there like the Polaris (or other) over 'bots or is that rare? BTW, I have the plumbing for a pressure side cleaner when the pool used to have a Ray Vac.

Kevin

I've had a Polaris 280 (two jets vs three in the 380) for five years and love it. Easy to service/maintain and parts are readily available. I had a problem with a cracked backup jet housing and called the corporate offices and they were very responsive and replaced the entire valve. 280 picks up everything... coins, toys, goggles, etc. Depending on the bag, it filters the tiniest particles, sand, dirt, etc. I had a Polaris on my first pool too.... not sure if it was a 180 or 280 (doubt it was a 380). I can't imagine the old days of dragging out hoses and manually cleaning the pool bottom. Good luck.

We have been using a Kreepy Krauly for 10 years - and basically are very happy. We are on our third unit - and I have a garage shelf full of new parts (from the other units that I haven't had to replace.

There was a 3 year warranty - and my local pool store always replaced every worn part just before the warranty expiration.

I just purchased another one - with the Pentair $100 rebate. I think that with the parts I have I should be good for about six/seven years.

This is a really old thread I know, but for anyone in the same boat just wanted to give feedback. I recently broke down and splurged for the Polaris 280. Had it for a week now and couldn't be happier!

It seems to do a better job cleaning my pool, even without the robot "logic". For some reason the bot would avoid my shallow end no matter what I tried. Cleaning the Polaris is also easier. Chord doesn't get kinked up like the bot, Polaris is a lot lighter, the fact that the Polaris is on a timer means cleaning is automated....... I could go on.

I know it seems backwards to go from a bot to a pressure cleaner, but in my case glad I did it.

Kevin

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.