Is it Worth changing low T/A

Oct 26, 2014
Thailand
Hi all been using the bleech method for several months now and couldnt be happier pool stays crystal clear and i finally feel i have some sort of control on whats going on in there after many hours of reading on here and learning lots of usefull information . My question is my T/A has dropped to 30 as checked today doesnt seem to be making any problems my ph raises from 7.4/7.5 to 7.8/7.9 over about 8-10 days then i put 2 litres of 31% MA in drops it back to 7.4/7.5 on it goes i understan this is lower the T/A over time just wondered at what point you start adding baking soda as in lower parameters for T/A or just get it back up to around 50 then every time i put MA in put a bit of baking soda in to off set the effect of the MA.
Thanks in advance for any help

PH 7.7
CL 5.0
TA 30
CH 220
CYA 38
Water Temp 19.5°C (much cooler than normal)

To low of a TA can cause etching of the pool surfaces. I would get your TA back up to 70-80 range using baking soda and see how your PH likes it there. When it falls to 50-60 I'd raise it back up.

What test kit are you using and how did you come up with a CYA level of 38 ?

Hi thanks fot the advice im using a Palintest which has marking on it in 10s on the side i checked it twice and its about 4/5s between 30 and 40 maybe .I will raise the TA back up was wondering really if its worth doing it as i do the MA at 2 litres it drops TA in my size pool by 11 so 2kg of Baking Soda equals the loss ( i read it will raise the ph by .03 ) just wondered how other people done it really or just let it drop a fair bit then bring it back up

Unless you are using borates, it is best not to let TA go below about 60. Having TA at 50 for a few days is no big deal, but down around 30 you are well into the range where you could have problems. If you are using borates, then TA at 40 is the lower limit, and 30 for a few days is no big deal.

Have you calculated your csi? I know that I raised my TA from to 70 to help with the csi value.

i just checked my CSI its 0.71 Corrosion of plaster likely better up the TA soon whats interesting as well is the massive differnce Temp makes to CSI my pool has been at 30-35 for the last 8 months now it at 19 makes a big difference thanks for the advice

Unless you are using borates, it is best not to let TA go below about 60. Having TA at 50 for a few days is no big deal, but down around 30 you are well into the range where you could have problems. If you are using borates, then TA at 40 is the lower limit, and 30 for a few days is no big deal.

Thanks for the reply i will go put 2 kg of baking soda (which is all i have here at the mo ) in now and keep it above 60

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.