Nightmare Motor Repair!

Nov 3, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
My waterfall pump was making noise and it was suppose to be a cold weekend here in Texas so I decided I'd replace the bearings in the motor. I have never done this before, but have the tools and watched several videos. I was able to remove the first 3 through bolts without any problems, but the last one finally broke when I applied some pressure to loosen it. I was able to get the motor apart and moved the piece to the garage where I sprayed it with some WD40. I tried removing the bolt with some vice grips and the bolt continued to break. I got down to about 3 inches of bolt left and soaked it with WD40 overnight. Today, I tried again and continued to break the bolt until I had only about 2 inches of bolt left. At that point I fired up the propane torch and heated the base for a few minutes. I was then able to see the bolt turn a little in both directions and did this several times. I could hear squeaking so I thought I had it. As I repositioned the vise grips and turned one last time, the bolt broke off just below the surface! I guess now I need to drill it out?

Unsuccessful with the bolt, I decided to replace the bearings. However, I am unable to get the bearing out of the pump housing (I guess that is what it is). I have sprayed both sides of the bearing housing with WD40 and have beat the housing with a hammer to break it free of the bearing, but it will not move!

Any idea how to get the housing off so I can replace the bearing?? Picture attached.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 60
If the bearings are just stuck because of corrosion, you might try some PB Blaster. PB Blaster is the bomb! Walmart and auto parts store carries it. Wayyyy better for this type of thing than WD-40 ever thought about being.

That's the best advice I can give you. Maybe someone else with more experience with this type of thing will chime in.

Any chance there's an internal circlip that is holding the bearing into the housing? You would look carefully at the outer diameter of the bearing and make sure there's no overhanging ring of steel blocking it's way out. If there is, that's a circlip and it would need to be removed first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.