Pool cleaner help required choosing the right one.

Aug 2, 2013
Hi all,
I need to purchase some sort of robot that can clean a salt water based pool size 12x5 meters. I know nothing about them, but could do with something that runs independently on its own with out being connected to the pool suction (which isn't great).

We rent out our holiday home, so could do with something that doesn't take hours and hours to clean a pool. Any help greatly appreciated.:)

THere are 3 ways which pool cleaners are powered.
- Suction side, which you say you dont want
- pressure side, which requires its own pump and possibly some plumbing work
- electric powered (24V DC)

Sounds like you might like the Robot Cleaner.

What type of pool do you have? Inground? Above ground? Plaster or vinyl lined?
Some are designed spefically for above ground and others for inground, etc.. there a lots of choices.

There are lots of options that robots have too. Some climb the walls but do not clean the tile line. Others clean the tile line too. Others dont climb the walls at all. Remote controlled?- Yup.
Some are easier to cleean the filters than others - i.e, top side filter acess vs bottom side filter access

I have a inground vinyl lined pool about the same size as yours and my Dolphin Nautilus works awesome for me. I love the thing.

You can google "robotic pool cleaners" and get tons of hits. YouTube also has lots of videos on them.

The most reliable ones, at least that I am aware of for inground pools, is the Dolphin and Hayward lines. Aquabot also seems to enjoy a decent reputation for the most part for above ground pools.

One note about the electric robots though. You get what you pay for.

It would help if you added your location to your signature. I had to go back to find that you live in the UK but the pool is at a holiday home in Tuscany. This does make a difference in your case.

Who is going to operating the robot? I'm going to assume you will have a pool service of some sort maintaining it. I'm afraid there are none that you can just leave in the water to keep the pool clean. They all have filters/cartridges/bags/nets that need to be taken out and cleaned each use of the robot. Mine takes about 4 hours to work it's way around the entire pool and clean everything up. I figure this will be common among all of them as they only move so fast and when you add up floor area and wall area it's a lot of ground to cover.

Thanks for the replies. Yes the house is in Tuscany. Its an 'in ground' pool and vinyl lined. I don't want something in the water permanently, but would like something that can be put in the pool on change over day and while the house is being cleaned etc (which takes about 4-5hrs), the pool cleaner can be looking after the pool.
Electric sounds like it might be the best option for me. It can then just be dropped in the pool and fetched out later in the day. I'm assuming they collect rubbish in their own little bag. Also, are these things easy to operate ? Is it a case of just dropping it into the pool each time, or do they need to be programmed with pool size etc. Sorry for the daft questions, I simply no nothing about them.

I do have a company that open/close the pool, but they only appear once a fortnight to test the water. They are supposed to clean the pool, but never do (thats another story)

Another question that springs to mind. Can these cleaners be put in and taken out of the pool easily ? or does one need to get in the pool to get it out ?
thanks for any info.

Thanks for the replies. Yes the house is in Tuscany. Its an 'in ground' pool and vinyl lined. I don't want something in the water permanently, but would like something that can be put in the pool on change over day and while the house is being cleaned etc (which takes about 4-5hrs), the pool cleaner can be looking after the pool.
Electric sounds like it might be the best option for me. It can then just be dropped in the pool and fetched out later in the day. I'm assuming they collect rubbish in their own little bag. Also, are these things easy to operate ? Is it a case of just dropping it into the pool each time, or do they need to be programmed with pool size etc. Sorry for the daft questions, I simply no nothing about them.

Robot cleaners are as you say "dropped in the pool and fetched out later in the day" they are self programmed and most of the better brands do a good job of this.
Yes depending on make and/or model it will have a bag or basket(s)- I personal find the basket models easier to clean

Another question that springs to mind. Can these cleaners be put in and taken out of the pool easily ? or does one need to get in the pool to get it out ?
thanks for any info.
I simply tug on the power cable (which floats), lighty pull the Bot to the side of the pool and lift it up via it's handle
I think you have 220 Volts, 50 Hertz, so make sure you get a model that works with this.

My AquaBot 4WD has a few issues with getting all of my stairs.
BUT, I think if I had straight stairs like yours it would be fine.

My stairs are done in a Simi circle and the radius seems to be perfect to give the Bot a hard time. This has scratched up the front of the Bot a bunch as it keeps trying to climb the stairs, which it eventually does. Also it does not get sand from the area where the step risers & treads meet, but I don’t think any Bot would?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do yourself a favor and spend a few extra bucks for a robot that will turn itself on the floor, otherwise in a rectangle pool, its going to bang it self back and forth against each wall cleaning very inefficient. For you I would say get the blue diamond remote and be done with it or the oasis z5. Drop it in and in an hour the pool is clean.

Do yourself a favor and spend a few extra bucks for a robot that will turn itself on the floor, otherwise in a rectangle pool, its going to bang it self back and forth against each wall cleaning very inefficient. For you I would say get the blue diamond remote and be done with it or the oasis z5. Drop it in and in an hour the pool is clean.

Oasis z5 is this a dolphin model ? . By the way, do any of these robots skim the surface or is it just the bottom and wall that get done?

Oasis z5 is this a dolphin model ? . By the way, do any of these robots skim the surface or is it just the bottom and wall that get done?

Shabba there are no robotic pool cleaners that I know of that skim the pool as well. Unless you mean "skimming"to be reaching the waterline as it cleans the walls; a sizable portion of the wall cleaning robots clean up to the waterline.

Yes it is, and if you mean skimming the surface for leaves and such, no. That job remains the pool skimmer's and your job with a skimmer net. They do however do a great job on the water line as Citizen mentioned.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.