Tulsa Pool Build, new IG

TulsaKevin

Platinum Supporter
Dec 8, 2014
Tulsa OK
Just starting house construction a few days ago, started the pool building process. I have had two meetings with the PB, and we are still working out the details, but wanted to go ahead and post some pics and get yall's expert opinion to make sure that I am not missing anything obvious.

GOALS: 1. To be large enough to host parties of occasional 20-50 people, with most likely weekly gathering of our youth group of 10-15 teenagers and mens group of about the same.
2. To have a diving board/slide/jump area to be deep enough to be safe. Building ours closely to ANSI Type VIII standards.
3. To have a diving board that actually works. ;), yes I know about the inherent dangers of diving boards. I know that driving is more dangerous as well as dietary choices on long term health.
4. To have a "separate" shallow activity end that football, basketball, volleyball, and general pool fun can be have.
5. Have a hot tub that can be used in hot tub weather, i.e. for me less than 40 degrees, the colder the better, and I want to be in the tub when it is so cold my hair freezes.
6. Have efficient well maintained pool. TFP method will take care of this.
7. Have a maximally long usage and comfort temp level of the pool

Rough equipment: 2hp Ecostar Variable speed pumps, as well as several individualized pumps for water features, polaris 280 pool sweep with booster pump, 30 inch Highrate sand filter, 400k BTU NG heater, 125k BTU Heat chill pump, Interfab BYOS slide 21ft, Gemstone aggregate, Led lights, Gold line Salt system, Pl-4 automation system with wireless remote, Essex Grand Effects fire bowl, stamped stained salt concrete 2600ft, limestone grotto,

Rough dimensions: Pool design 1 (130' perimeter, 3.6-9.6 ft deep, 45k gallon, 925 soft, 33x40ft)
Pool design 2 (150' perimeter, 3.6 to 10 ft deep, approx 53k, approx 1100sqft, 33x49 deep to shallow with 20x37 shallow)

Coming up with separate close able loop design for hot tub so the hot tub can be completely isolated from the pool and run to the heater, so we can keep the hot tub at above freeze guard temps and have it quickly heat. Heat/chill pump and NG to help extend swim season and comfort. Pump house will be a stand alone structure with the ability to have the temp maintain to above 40 degree and above. also it will serve as the chemical, toys, cleaning supply storage, outside shower and change area.

Attachments

• pool1.1.jpg
    pool1.1.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 656
  • pool1.2.jpg
    pool1.2.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 666
  • pool1.3.jpg
    pool1.3.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 659
Cant seem to upload the second round of pics, only lets me add 250kb, when I go to try to post more, it won't let me delete the other files that I have added. I went to the manger and unselected all of the pictures, but does not "delete" them from my upload file.

That is a great point, looked at the Hayward website and seems like the other than the Saline C 6.0, all others only work for up to 40k. I will talk to the PB and make sure the quote given for the salt system includes enough chlorine generator power.

Thanks again.

Kunkel 2 2d.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Finally got started, here are some early build pics. Like always, got to pick out tile, the tile I like is an upgrade, looked at possibility of stamped concrete, the stamp that I like is an.....upgrade, next time I build anything, which after building the house and this should be around never, but I am going to say I like something else then when they say upgrade, then I am going to choose what I really want. I going to get ride of the stamped concrete, just go with color and salted.

IMG_20150724_200835323.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Deep end looks real deep. We are going to have a diving board, so I wanted to go as deep as we could. IMG_20150731_164724832.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Attachments

• IMG_20150724_200835323.jpg
    IMG_20150724_200835323.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_20150725_153955075_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150725_153955075_HDR.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 555
Thanks for letting us join in on the ride. Is the pool house the wing of the house to the side or is there a separate structure not shown in the drawings. Maybe I missed something. What did you find out about the salt system size?

Do you have a large built in trash/recycling station? You will be generating a bit of material with all of your gatherings. Nice to have an incorporated space for this task

Can't wait to watch. How did the house build go? Or is it still going?

This is going to be a fun pool to watch!

Okay is my job for you................

Get a tape measure and measure everything as it happens! NOW is the time to make changes and fixes. Know that the steel will be ? inches off the ground (ask your PB) and your gunite will be about 3 inches thick.

Make sure the walls are as far apart as they should be. Is the deep end deep enough? Is the tanning ledge how you want it?

THANKS for sharing your build with us!
Kim

Going back in forth between two salt systems, they do make salt cells for commercial that are large enough, and surprisingly not very much more than residential. I guess they don't have all of the mark ups. The PB is talking to others to see what is the best, the advantage of two is that they replacements and parts are in stock and available, the commercial though only is one system so one is always easier to take care of than two. Should have an answer soon. As far as the materials, we are finishing up building our house at the same time, so we have a large dumpster. The rock, metal and reusables have been collected by the workers after they finish their projects. As far as dirt, we have a used it for landscaping. House should finish up sometime next month, the pool about the same. House went ok, most of the bids were accurate, but the bid for the concrete was way off because they initially thought the slope of the land was 3 ft, it was a little over 9 feet. I couldn't tell, and only after they poured the slab did it become apparent, but my complaint was, the contractor could have easily had it surveyed before the bid, or since they build a lot of houses, buy a gps surveyor equipment for himself and know exactly. We were going to pay for it anyways, because the slope of the land is the slope regardless, but it stings more when you have to pay for it out of the pocket all at once. Also, as usually, some of the bids for way to low, so we "upgraded" more than we thought. That being said, the granite was bid so low, that 3 of the 5 places that they recommended did not even carry anything that cheap.

Be glad when it is all done and next year at this time, will be totally worth it, assuming we don't go into foreclosure before then ;)

The deep is 10ft plus, told him to fudge on the deeper side of ten, and we don't have a tanning ledge. Personally I wanted to maximize every square inch for playing, that is why I decided on a L shape, so you have a shallow end for all of the water games, but a deep end for the slide and diving board. Also I added a standing ledge on the deep end so you can be in the deep end and still throw a ball or frisbee to the shallow end or just hang out. It will be in the corner between the slide and the diving board.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also I added a standing ledge on the deep end so you can be in the deep end and still throw a ball or frisbee to the shallow end or just hang out. It will be in the corner between the slide and the diving board.

Great decision on the standing ledge. We have two and they are the best feature of our pool. On the salt cells, the two residential a might be a good idea in that if one fails the other one will be able to handle much of your chlorination needs with some bleach additions. I think the manufacturers pad their ratings a bit on what they can do.

Thanks for the house details. They are fun to hear. Sounds like you have a good attitude about it.

photo_57.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

gunite pool 1.jpggunite 2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

PB was here at 545am, started the water running around 6 am, pumped and worked till 630pm. Question. The air temp is a very pleasant 84 degrees, the sun has set, the nights low is around 75. Do I need to water, text the PB, haven't heard back, tomorrow I assume that they will be back, weather is a only supposed to be around 90 tomorrow. Saturday was 102 with humidity near 65%, so this has a been a tremendous relief.

Do I need to water, looks fine to me.

This is the big granddaddy version of the pool we are trying to build. The one we are working on is closer to your first design, but with a prefab slide and no spa. Yours is going to be awesome for you! We love the idea of an L shaped pool for all the reasons you mentioned. Unfortunately, since we are digging into solid limestone, we won't be digging as deep because of cost, but it is great that you can. I'll be looking forward to following your build. Thanks for sharing!

It is from 3'6 to 4 ish, there is a little slope to it, PB made it slope, I did not have a strong opinion about it. Since the spa and grotto are were it starts sloping, and we have a lot of monkeys that live here, figure someone is going to jump off anyway near the shallow end. The grotto slopes off to 7 foot on the other side. The slide is right at 9 feet.

Have some pipe.

I see all of this and get real nervous after reading several people who have developed a pool leak, that is a lot of joints and couplers.

Doing the leak test as we speak. They started on Thursday and worked from 8 tip 6pm this Saturday. :pIMG_20150828_185115601.jpgIMG_20150828_185357802.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.