ODK Kegerator in Texas heat?

RiffeShooter

Platinum Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
Lake Jackson, Texas
I'm gearing up to start some framing and I'm curious about having a fridge or a kegerator, or both... One question I have about the fridge, are they actually useful being so small? Second, does anyone in Texas have a kegerator outside? How does it hold up with the summer heat? Thanks!

I'm not in Texas, but I do have a keezer(a freezer converted with three taps). I keep it in the garage set at 41 degrees in the KY summer heat, and it can keep up. Freezers are fairly well insulated, so it doesn't use a ton of electricity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a fridge adjacent to my ODK. I didn't put it inside because I didn't want the trapped heat on the kitchen interior. The fridge is under cover, receives no rain, no sun, and it only last about 2-3 years.

I don't know if the kegerator would last a long time, if it doesn't and you install it as built in you will always have to buy that one as they are probably not a standard size.

I have both in Tennessee and it gets plenty hot here. My fridge is just an indoor under counter that I got off craigslist cheap. It works great for keeping sodas/waters/beers and grilling stuff cool while entertaining. I use it a bunch. I also have a kegerator with a triple tap that stays out year round. I will say, when its really hot the first pull can get a bit foamy but I love having it out there. I homebrew, and try to keep an assortment on tap. I have thought about rigging up a fan to blow cold air up into the tower or get one of those things that wraps around the tower to keep it cool but it really isn't that big of deal. The beer stays plenty cold, you just have to deal with a little foam in the heat of the summer.

Riles

I have both in Tennessee and it gets plenty hot here. My fridge is just an indoor under counter that I got off craigslist cheap. It works great for keeping sodas/waters/beers and grilling stuff cool while entertaining. I use it a bunch. I also have a kegerator with a triple tap that stays out year round. I will say, when its really hot the first pull can get a bit foamy but I love having it out there. I homebrew, and try to keep an assortment on tap. I have thought about rigging up a fan to blow cold air up into the tower or get one of those things that wraps around the tower to keep it cool but it really isn't that big of deal. The beer stays plenty cold, you just have to deal with a little foam in the heat of the summer.

Riles

If there's enough room in the tower you can run a line up and back down and use a little pond pump to circulate water or rv antifreeze from a bucket in the kegerator to keep the tower cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.