What would cause a pump to make a wobbling sound

Dec 12, 2011
Is my pump motor going bad? I dont notice any loss of performance and still pumps the water fine, but I've been noticing a loud wobbling sound from my motor. It's like a... "wa...wa...wa..wa..wa...wa.." The shaft spins fine. I disconnected the motor from the front part and ran it to see if it still makes the noise. It does make a noise, but it's not the exact same noise. It's a pulsating but a lot slower and longer. When I reassembled it, and turned it back on as it was priming the wobbling noise got quicker and quicker and louder as the water filled in the basket. Although it had no trouble priming and running. Other than the noise, you would think nothing is wrong with it. There is no air in the system. No loss of pressure.

It almost sounds as if maybe the shaft somehow isn't aligned right or something. The impeller is all clear and that looks OK.

This is a Pentair Whisperflo. Motor isn't very old.

Sounds like a bearing going bad. The more load you put on it the louder it gets. And it's most likely the shaft end bearing. If you're handy enough to take the pump apart they're pretty easy to replace. Be sure to get a shaft seal too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.