Need new pump advice from SMEs

jayjayaz

Oct 25, 2012
Southern CA
Please help me to choose the best new pump for the following situation:
- I reside in San Diego and currently have an old loud single HP pump
- 12,000 gal above ground pool, with Hayward vac
- Both pump, heliocol solar system and pool are beside a single story house, making low noise level absolutely critical

Many thanks,

Nearly any size pump will work with that setup but given you are in CA, you will want either a two speed or variable speed pump. It really depends on your budget and if you have any type of controller for turning on and off the pump. Another factor in choosing a VS pump is if your power company offers rebates.

Sorry, the only controller I have is an old on/off rotary dial type. Also, you likely realized I meant to write in-ground pool. I'm concerned about the noise level during the summer months during daylight hours while running the solar heating system; which pump is quietest under those circumstances? Not an issue during the winter, as I run the pump at night.

Thanks,

jay

All NEW pumps have about the same noise for the same RPM. What usually causes a pump to be noisy is when the bearings start to fail in the motor. So a new pump will fix the noise issue. Also, what helps reduce noise further is to lower the speed of the motor. Lower RPM reduces the noise in the wet end and plumbing because lower RPM = lower flow rate = lower velocity in the plumbing which in turn reduces the noise of the pump. Higher HP pumps tend to have more noise than lower HP pumps because they produce higher flow rate not because they are inherently more noisy.

One option would be to replace your current motor with a new two speed motor. That will solve the noise issue and you will save energy as well. However, if your power company gives a rebate for a VS, that is probably a better way to go.

One of the lower cost and higher efficiency VS pumps is the Hayward MaxFlo VS. The newest version has a built in timer too.

pump photo 2.jpgpump foto 1.jpgpump photo 2.jpg

Ex-army, not sure who coined the phrase, but now used by the feds. There's a $200 rebate in San Diego, I guess I'll go with a VS pump. My current pump and filter tightly configured on a 24"X24" concrete pad that falling apart and must be replaced. The Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump VS 011018 and Hayward VS pumps are the same size as my current pump and should hopefully fit. I attached two pictures and was wondering if I'm failing to take into consideration anything? best case solution would be to move everything 50' away to a better, bigger location, any idea of the cost?, most of the 50' are covered with pavers?

Thank you
Jay

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.