Freezing weather in Georgia coming tonight and pump not running

Hi all,
Pump went out yesterday and it was set to come on at 40 degrees so I didnt close the pool.
Its going to 15 degrees tonight so far I drained to below skimmers and drained sand filter. There was a little water
In the skimmer lines visible so i put a small amount of anti freeze in.
Should I drain the water below returns? Anything else ?

Thanks Tony

Do you have any plugs you put into the returns? My returns are fairly far down in my pool so I don't drain below them when I winterize. What I do is blow them out from the pump side. After a couple of minutes of blowing them out I plug them up (while still blowing them out), and then fill with anti-freeze. This has work for me for 5 years now.

How long will the temp be below freezing? I am fairly sure that it needs to be at below freezing for an extended amount of time for the ground at those depts to freeze and effect the pipes.

Others may tell you different, but I don't even bother unless it is going to stay below freezing for two days. It drops below freezing almost every night in the winter here, and I only run the pump for an hour at 4 am. Even when I "winterize" for cold spells, I only pull the plugs out of the pump, heater headers, and set the sand filter to waste. We had a full week of teens, and I had an inch of ice on the pool. Fired everything back up, and the heater showed water temp of 39. It takes a long time for pipes that are underground to freeze. And for the small sections that are above ground, my method gives enough room for things to expand. I don't think you will ever see temps low enough to bother the skimmer where you are.

Hi

I'm in North Texas (DFW Area) and have a similar issue. Pool power keeps tripping and pump will not run. I can't get anyone to look at it until Monday.
Found this thread and took a bit of comfort from smracing's post above. (I was freaking out this morning!)

As I read the comments above looks like I probably only have to be concerned with the stuff that is above ground....
For me that would be; pull the plugs out of the pump and set the DE filter to waste?
Hope for best beyond that when I finally get to file it all up....

Any other advice?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.