Where should I start?

ajinaz

Jan 6, 2015
Phoenix
I have a 1 1/2 HP Whisperflo pump that was installed with new pool back in 2002. It has always run quiet with no problems. When it kicked on last night there was a loud metallic scraping sound that I could hear from in the house. I went out and it sounded like it was coming from right by the basket end of the assembly by where the impeller is located. The pump is still working fine as far as circulating water through the system and the filter pressure is normal. The motor doesn't appear to be laboring. Just the loud scraping noise.

Knowing these symptoms, where should I be looking first? Everything I read seems to indicate that if it was just the impeller or diffuser it would not be keeping prime. Is a pump this old worth messing with or should I start looking for a new one?

Thanks in advance for any direction you can give.

I had a piece of gravel make its way through the baskets, probably while vacuuming, and it made a racket. I assumed the motor was toast and pulled it and took it to the pool shop. As soon as they loosened the impeller, the problem was obvious and fixed.

It's only six bolts to get the motor off, and one to remove the impeller. How handy are you?

I had a piece of gravel make its way through the baskets, probably while vacuuming, and it made a racket. I assumed the motor was toast and pulled it and took it to the pool shop. As soon as they loosened the impeller, the problem was obvious and fixed.

It's only six bolts to get the motor off, and one to remove the impeller. How handy are you?

I'd say I'm medium handy so I'll go ahead and look at that first. I watched some videos and and it seems pretty cut and dry.

Thanks

Update:

Just to clarify, I have close to zero knowledge when it comes to electric motors but I can follow directions on videos so thanks for bearing with my lack of knowledge.
I pulled off the impeller, but when I turned the motor back on the noise was still there. Thought maybe a bearing so continued tearing it down. Once apart the shaft was spinning pretty freely and the back bearing seems smooth. I stopped there though because looking at the shaft on the motor it is rusty looking while the ones I've seen online are silver. I know it's hard to diagnose from pictures but is it likely this is shot?

IMG_4765.JPG

IMG_4764.jpg

IMG_4766.jpg

If not, what would be my next step?

If it's obviously shot, can anyone suggest a replacement that would be reasonable priced and pretty easy to install? It's a WhisperFlo WFE-6 setup.

This was part of new pool install around 2002.

Thanks again for any help/suggestions/direction

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.