Jul 21, 2014
Sacramento, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi and welcome to TFP!

Note: In your research, beware of the marketing tactics on the product you are looking at. You will read that many of the VS pumps, for example, offer the ability to program 8 speeds. That is partially misleading. That flexibility exists only with an external controller, such as an Intellitouch (for pentair pumps). If programming speeds from the pump controller, you only have 3 or 4, depending on the model. SO, in order to know what is what, read the whole owner manual so that you dont end up with a product that doesnt fit your expectations.

I was curious about this; also considering a VS pump to replace a 3/4hp single speed from 2005 -- are the 4 or 8 speeds the number of different settings you can have (e.g 1 hour at speed A, 2 at speed B, etc), with each selectable across a much more granular RPM range? Or is it that there are only 8 (or 4) steps from slowest to fastest? If the latter, would that mean that if I'm replacing 3/4hp fixed with 3HP variable, that there really are only ~2 speeds that are equivalent/lower than the existing pump (thus making it not much better than a 2-speed)?

There are many many speeds, but there are only 4 (or 8) periods that the timer can be programmed to run, each of which will be at a single speed. Each period can use any of the many many available speeds, but using the on-board timer you can only program 4 (or 8) of those speeds to actually get used. Likewise there are 4 (or 8) speed buttons on the front panel which will instantly jump to one of the same 4 (or 8) speeds being used by the timer. You can reprogram which of the many many speeds is associated with each of the buttons (and associated timer slot). If you want some other speed you will have to manually step through all of the speeds between where you start and where you want to end up, which can get tedious.

In practice this is a fairly flexible system that does everything most people will ever want to do. However there some complex (and rare) setups that are not possible.

Some of the high end automation systems allow you to increase the total number of speeds available, as they allow one speed per device, and the larger systems support more than 8 devices. Again, most people will never actually want to do this.

One (extreme) situation where this might come up is if you have a pool (one speed for circulation), a spa (different speed for jets), and three waterfalls of different sizes, all running from one pump. In such a setup you actually want to have 16 different speeds, pool alone, pool plus waterfall 1, pool pus waterfall 2, pool plus waterfall 3, pool plus waterfalls 1 & 2, pool plus waterfalls 1 & 3, pool plus waterfalls 2 & 3, pool plus waterfalls 1 & 2 & 3, and then another eight with spa plus the various combinations. None of the available systems seem to handle that kind of situation at all well.

<What he said above>

You can get all eight speeds if you use an automation system to program it. As it stands, it has four buttons that can be assigned a speed. You can set a program for each of those speeds. They are not fixed speeds, so you can adjust to any speed you would like for each of the 4 speeds.

Are we sure about this? The Intelliflo VS manual says

"Manual, Schedule, and Egg Timer.
Speeds 1-4 can be programmed in all three modes. Speeds 5-8 can only be programmed in Schedule mode since there are no buttons on the control panel for Speeds 5-8. The default setting for Speeds 5-8 is “Disabled”. and..

"Set Speeds 1-8 in Schedule Mode.
In Schedule mode, Speeds 1-8 can be programmed to run a certain speed at a certain time of day."

It shows pictures of the pump running in the scheduled mode, which you cannot see if connected to an external control panel.

It appears to me that you can only have 4 "manual" speeds because you only have 4 buttons, but you can assign and schedule 8 different speeds, with their own start and stop times right at the pump drive. I have not tried this as my pump is connected to an Easy Touch, but I'm about to install a new Intelliflo VS at another pool and will try it just for fun.

Thanks,

Jim R.

It also depends on which "VS" you are talking about. The old Intelliflo 3050 had only 4 speeds. A Superflo, MaxFlo, SuperPump VS have three speeds. The new Intelliflo and EcoStar have 8 programmable speeds.

But in most cases, you should not need more than 3-4 speeds anyway.

if you are controlling the pump with easy touch or intellitouch you can program it to run at any speed (within parameter) that you want. intelliflo has 4 buttons on top that you can use for 4 different speeds when in service mode. (at least mine does.)
so I think what they mean by 8 speeds is that you can program in up to 8 scheduled run times each at whatever speed you choose.(with automation)

I have the Pentair VS 11018. Without an automation system, speeds 1-4 are programed to the buttons on the control panel, speeds 5-8 can be scheduled with the onboard timer. In addition, a quick clean button can be programed for your specific speed and duration.
So that is four scheduled programs per day, plus the speeds that are avail at the touch of a button. When you select one of the 1-4 speeds it overrides the program until the next scheduled change.

chiefwej, that is the clearest explanation I have seen yet.

There is however, one additional twist. Speeds 1 through 4 can be individually setup to be either manual, as your describe, or scheduled (i.e. operate on the timer as you describe for speeds 5 through 8), or "egg timer" which means you trigger them manually and then they run for a programmed amount of time (like the quick clean mode).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was under the impression that to use 1-4 in a program mode you had to have outside automation controlling the pump.

In any event, for those keeping track, there are 8 different speed settings available (plus a seperate one for quick clean). I can't imagine not having enough different speeds and program flexibility with this pump.

You can use the first four speeds with the internal timer and without an external automation system, though many people don't figure out how to set that up and there is rarely a need for it.

Most external controllers run at whatever number of speeds they care to support, without any reference to how the pump is setup. The only one I know of that uses the pumps configured speeds is the IntelliComm II, which uses speeds 1 through 4 as setup on the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.