dry chlorine

Hello Charleston-Dawn

Yes it is here, is some info
CALCIUM HYPOCHLORITE
These are unstabilised Chlorine granules, also known as "Shock Chlorine". As a routine sanitiser, Calcium Hypochlorite is usually preferred for indoor pools where the effects of sunlight are less. When used outdoors, a separate stabiliser must be added to slow chlorine loss in sunlight.
TIP - Add shock chlorine at night so that it can work in the dark to maintain its strength for longer.

TIP - In soft water, Calcium Hypochlorite also builds the Calcium content of the water.

Happy Swims
Frank

100 lbs. of cal-hypo is a lot of chlorine, considering that for your size pool you only need 4 oz of 65% of cal-hypo to boost the chlorine level by 1 ppm! Oh, well, it will last you a long time, and it keeps as long as it doesn't get wet! :-D

Do you know what your calcium hardness level is right now? That's the one thing that cal-hypo does increase. The increase is really pretty small, something like 3 ppm per pound of 65%, but if you use it as your only source of chlorine, you will eventually notice it. Even for vinyl liners you do have to make sure your calcium doesn't get extremely high, because you can get calcium scaling even on vinyl liners. But with most fill water, unless you have added calcium to your water already, you will probably be low enough CH to use your cal-hypo for quite awhile. I know I use it to shock; my fill water is around 150 - 170 ppm CH, and I haven't noticed an increase at all yet.

Hi Swimgirl
I'm aware of the calcium raise and have a reading of 100 right now. We have been getting alot of rain from "Fay" and our regular seasonal downpours so I'm not too worried about the calcium raising too fast. I've been having to drain or use the extra water for vacuuming to waste and backwashing every few days. Algae has been my problem of late and I have been busy keeping up all the chems. I love the pool calculator!!!! Thanks for your advise! :-D

Please also be very careful with it. It is a class III oxidizer and can be dangerous. Read the labels carefully. Don't let it get wet/damp or come into contact with anything other than the inside of the bucket, a clean scoop, and your pool water!

Aquaman95 said:
Please also be very careful with it. It is a class III oxidizer and can be dangerous. Read the labels carefully. Don't let it get wet/damp or come into contact with anything other than the inside of the bucket, a clean scoop, and your pool water!

Good warning. My wife's co-worker's husband was injured when he added water to cal-hypo. Small explosion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.