Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: dry chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

dry chlorine

is Calcium Hypochlorite the same thing as the Cal-Hypo listed on the Pool Calculator?
    It is what it is, and sometimes it's scary!
    AG-22200 gal 45x18x4 - Sam's Wholesale, June 2008
    1hp pump, 19 inch 100 lb. Waterway sand filter (plus DE)
    apx 45 gal per min
    Summerville SC.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: dry chlorine

Hello Charleston-Dawn

Yes it is here, is some info
    CALCIUM HYPOCHLORITE
    These are unstabilised Chlorine granules, also known as "Shock Chlorine". As a routine sanitiser, Calcium Hypochlorite is usually preferred for indoor pools where the effects of sunlight are less. When used outdoors, a separate stabiliser must be added to slow chlorine loss in sunlight.
    TIP - Add shock chlorine at night so that it can work in the dark to maintain its strength for longer.

TIP - In soft water, Calcium Hypochlorite also builds the Calcium content of the water.

Happy Swims
    Frank
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I just purchased 100# at a very low price because the bottled bleach in our area has gone up in price. Lg bottle 6%(182 oz.) about $3.50.
    Thanks again.
    apx 45 gal per min
    Summerville SC.

4. Back To Top    #4

100 lbs. of cal-hypo is a lot of chlorine, considering that for your size pool you only need 4 oz of 65% of cal-hypo to boost the chlorine level by 1 ppm! Oh, well, it will last you a long time, and it keeps as long as it doesn't get wet!

Do you know what your calcium hardness level is right now? That's the one thing that cal-hypo does increase. The increase is really pretty small, something like 3 ppm per pound of 65%, but if you use it as your only source of chlorine, you will eventually notice it. Even for vinyl liners you do have to make sure your calcium doesn't get extremely high, because you can get calcium scaling even on vinyl liners. But with most fill water, unless you have added calcium to your water already, you will probably be low enough CH to use your cal-hypo for quite awhile. I know I use it to shock; my fill water is around 150 - 170 ppm CH, and I haven't noticed an increase at all yet.
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi Swimgirl
    I'm aware of the calcium raise and have a reading of 100 right now. We have been getting alot of rain from "Fay" and our regular seasonal downpours so I'm not too worried about the calcium raising too fast. I've been having to drain or use the extra water for vacuuming to waste and backwashing every few days. Algae has been my problem of late and I have been busy keeping up all the chems. I love the pool calculator!!!! Thanks for your advise!
    apx 45 gal per min
    Summerville SC.

6. Back To Top    #6

Wow, and I thought my calcium was low! Yeah, I don't think you will have to worry about your calcium.
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

Please also be very careful with it. It is a class III oxidizer and can be dangerous. Read the labels carefully. Don't let it get wet/damp or come into contact with anything other than the inside of the bucket, a clean scoop, and your pool water!
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaman95
    Please also be very careful with it. It is a class III oxidizer and can be dangerous. Read the labels carefully. Don't let it get wet/damp or come into contact with anything other than the inside of the bucket, a clean scoop, and your pool water!
    Good warning. My wife's co-worker's husband was injured when he added water to cal-hypo. Small explosion.