I think I may have lucked out!

Aug 26, 2014
Round Rock, TX
A few days ago I the was driving to the local 7-11. It was trash day and the trash had not been collected yet. I saw, next to someones garbage can, a Hayward pump and sand filter. I went to the door to ask if there has anything wrong with the equipment. There was nobody home so I loaded them up in the back of the pickup. I tried to contact the folks the next day and there was still no answer at the door. I came home and plugged in the pump for a few seconds and I could feel that the pump was pumping air. Hmm. This could be a nice find here. Today I touched base with the original owner and asked him if there was anything wrong with the equipment. He gave me 2 thumbs up and it all works. He said the filter hasn't had a complete season on it. It's practically brand new. I have a 14' Intex AGP with their small sand filter setup. It's 2 seasons old and works fine.

So here is the question: What should I do before placing the Hayward stuff in service besides greasing the o-rings and refilling with sand?

Attachments

• 15 - 1 (1).jpg
    15 - 1 (1).jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 15 - 1 (2).jpg
    15 - 1 (2).jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 15 - 1.jpg
    15 - 1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 77
Hi Dave,

sounds like you did luck out. I think the only consideration of use that pump with that filter would be to make sure the FLow Rate, or GPM of the pump doesn't exceed the capability of the sand filter. if hte gpm of the pump exceeds the capacity of the filter, it could conveiveably blow sand back into the pool and do a poor job of filtering. I did a quick lookup on the filter and it looks like its rated for 35 gpm. Thats 8000 gallons in 4 hours.

with a 1 HP pump, I think you're in good shape !

Nice find!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.