testing in cold water?

engrav

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Whidbey Island, WA
Did not cover pool this year and water temp is now about 40°. Still check chemistry from time to time. Thought I saw on this site a page describing which tests can be done in cold water and which require water to be brought to room temp. But cannot find now. Is there such a page?

by the way, is fun watching chemistry in this cool water
takes forever for FC to drop from 11 to 5
have had to back wash out an inch or two of rain water 5 times so far and then found
CH to be 220
and CYA so low as to be basically unreadable
TA seems to hang in there at 60 or 70
pH creeps up but then it always does in this pool (pt of acid now and then is SOP)
skin of ice two or three times but melts fast when pump goes on
found a dead mouse, I think the flesh had not decayed at all; looked felt like a living mouse save rather stiff
worst problem is black ice on the slate surround, treacherous
any way is fun

Unless you tend to have problems with metal staining, you should allow the PH to go 0.2 or 0.3 higher than normal as the water temperature approaches freezing. The PH will naturally rise by about about that much as the water cools.

That's the approach I've been doing as well (learned it here). Only treating pH when it hits 8. And keeping FC between 7-9. My pool water temp is currently 45. Will have to take a full set of tests after all this rain ends and see where everything is. Seems to have been working well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.