Winter Pool maintenance, My hands are freezing!

Blakespools

In The Industry
Jan 3, 2015
Palm Desert, CA
Hey guys, I just joined the forums but have been using them for a few years to maintain my personal pools. I just started a small pool service business of my own, 30 accounts for now, and have run into an issue I didn't think of. During the winter months here most of my pool temps are 50 degrees as is the air temp in the mornings and my hands/fingers are suffering. Anyone have a recommendation on some sort of water proof and possibly insulated gloves that help in this situation?

Thanks,

Blake

Hey Blake, get yourself some Elbow length heavy rubber gloves. Similar to or like these ones.

http://www.bigalspets.com/aquaglove...son+Shopping&gclid=CMvu8b6J-cICFcKPMgodEzQAGQ

Ive seen similar ones at harbor freight and a couple hardware stores, I suspect Lowes and HD might have them.
they work well for me. No issue at all with cold hands. They are pretty thick so they provide some decent insulation.

They are hard to work with though if you need a lot of dexterity with your fingers, like screwing out a light niche screw. Work great for most other tasks though.

I have the actual ones I posted a link to. They are awesome! The orange part is made thick so sea urchines, fire coral, and other various nasty Saltwater Creatures in an aquarium don't you harm to a person during maintenance and cleaning. The blue part keep you dry all the way to the shoulder.

No cold hands from the wet leaf net pole or from sticking my hands in the skimmer if I have to, or from backwash hose. They are also great for those yucky things that might be in the skimmer no matter what the weather is.

Great for adding chlorine and MA too, for those people who are sensitive to chemicals splashing.

I wouldn't be without them!

Edit to add... the sleeves will also fit over the arms of a coat, so double good in that respect.

Last edited:
You can go to a safety supply store and see what they have. I have some flexible insulated chemical gloves that are great in winter or for grabbing hot boiler samples. Somewhat bulky, but for pool work they would be great. Local safety supply houses would be a great place to find those or similar. Cabelas have some options too. Heavy water proof gloves for duck hunting etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.