Poolside towel tree?

Looks cool. I would not use copper though. Maybe PVC and an appropriately sized hole. While copper is sturdy it can be easily bent and may discolor towels or clothing as it ages. Personally I would use PVC and a PVC fence post and fill the bottom 4-5 inches of the hollow post with cement which would make it slightly bottom heavy. I would use wood for the legs though. It's a cool idea. I might have to make one in the spring.

I like it and have some left over cedar from a recent chicken coop build. Will build one this spring. Agree with Glock the copper pipe may not be the best idea. It would look cool but I'm afraid it would age and stain towels and clothing. Maybe a clear coat treatment could be applied to the copper, will have to do some searching online.

Looks cool. I would not use copper though. Maybe PVC and an appropriately sized hole. While copper is sturdy it can be easily bent and may discolor towels or clothing as it ages. Personally I would use PVC and a PVC fence post and fill the bottom 4-5 inches of the hollow post with cement which would make it slightly bottom heavy. I would use wood for the legs though. It's a cool idea. I might have to make one in the spring.

Good info about the copper pipe. I am thinking to use wood with pvc pipe. Will spray painting the pvc pipe cause it to stain clothes also?

We made one like this. It's a staircase post, some shelf brackets, dowels, pegs, and a round piece of pine, all painted retina-searing blue. Not all that cheap in the end (probably $60 in parts), but attractive, sturdy, and should last a long time. We use tablecloth clips to keep towels and such from blowing off.

IMG_20150105_101612.jpg

We made one like this. It's a staircase post, some shelf brackets, dowels, pegs, and a round piece of pine, all painted retina-searing blue. Not all that cheap in the end (probably $60 in parts), but attractive, sturdy, and should last a long time. We use tablecloth clips to keep towels and such from blowing off.

View attachment 34049

Looks cool. Could you please post a closer picture of the base? How did you attach everything together at the base?

Going from memory here...I'm pretty sure I put some 4" lag screws (2 of them?) up through the base into the post. Then some smaller screws up into the brackets, and then horizontally through the brackets into the post. I countersunk the screws then patched over them...which makes it look real nice but unfortunately means I can't tell you for sure what I did!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.