Pantyhose on Intex 18' AGP outlet instead of skimmer basket?

Charles

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2008
Just killed off a bit of green algae bloom in the pool. But water is pretty cloudy. New TFP test kit is on the way so I can start properly testing the water.

In any case, someone suggested DE in the skimmer to help the pool filter. I slowly added some and it just blew out the other end. Same thing happens when I vacuum the pool. It just seems to blow out the exhaust. I looked at the parts diagrams and nothing is missing, so perhaps the filters are just not that good in the first place. So I had an idea...

I attached a 4" to 2" adapter and a 90 degree elbow to the pump outlet so that the water would swirl in the pool. Would there be any problem with attaching a knee high sock to the end to help clear the water?

Welcome to TFP.com.

A couple of questions.

I take it you have a sand filter. Need to know how big, what kind of pump you have and how long you run your pump per day.

Also, have you ever replaced the sand in your filter. How long has the sand been in your filter and you are using pool grade sand, right?

I think you can add DE to a sand filter but not a cartridge filter. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I understood it....

Yeah, the intex filters are just too small to be very effective at clearing a cloudy pool. Takes forever....

From what I have read, people who are able to maintain a clear pool, the intex is okay, just okay. But they are lacking, if there is a problem, like cloudy water or an algae bloom. Takes very long to clear, alot of people give up and drain to start over, or upgrade their filter.

I am already planning my setup for next year. I love the economy of an above ground pool and the SWG. I just need to figure out a real filter/pump setup. Any suggestions appreciated while I search TFP.

frustratedpoolmom said:
I think you can add DE to a sand filter but not a cartridge filter. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I understood it....

Yeah, the intex filters are just too small to be very effective at clearing a cloudy pool. Takes forever....

From what I have read, people who are able to maintain a clear pool, the intex is okay, just okay. But they are lacking, if there is a problem, like cloudy water or an algae bloom. Takes very long to clear, alot of people give up and drain to start over, or upgrade their filter.

I've read where people have done it but to my way of thinking, a good cartridge won't need help from DE. I figured he had a sand filter. If I were Charles I would buy another cartridge for that filter to finish out this swim season and think about getting a better filter for next season.

That cartridge could have a rip in the material that you don't see and it expands under water pressure.

Oh, I have changed out the cartridge plenty. Still cloudy. I am wondering if it is now the DE floating around. :lol:

Let me see what the chemistry is before I mess around with it too much. But back to the question -- would there be a downside to installing the knee-high sock on the return outlet?

I heard of people doing that. People have also used a woman's nylon also. I have never done that so I don't know. If you do it, I would stay around it for awhile and see how it works before walking away. I would try it Sunday morning and see how it works during the day before I left it on over night.

They sell a bag that goes on over the inlet that is suppost to trap down to 1 micron. I can't for the life of me remember the name of it. People, help me out.

I've read about the bags and it sound like just what you need. There is a post somewhere on this forum about them. I'll try and find it.

Found it.
slime-bag-1-micron-filter-it-does-work-t7028.html?hilit=bag

But I am thinking of putting it over the outlet instead of the inlet. I figure that it would keep the hose from getting as clogged up as the main filter will get the big stuff. Crazy? Downsides?

Your thinking of a skimmer sock.
I'm sure these go on the end of the hose for water going back in your pool from the filter.

A1950_f.jpg

picture taken from this site.

http://www.intheswim.com/shopping/produ ... =slime_bag

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You know, I see stuff like that for $30.00 and say to myself, "Surely someone makes a 1 micron material like that and isn't charging a ridiculous amount for it".

Then I Google "1 micron filter bag". Voila!

http://www.cfsco.net/fibagsvowvob3.html
$3.95
yhst-75931386268658_2003_5257469

Not exactly the same size, but it is a start. I am looking at fish farm and biodiesel filter systems. If economical, I may plumb one into my system.

Dont know if this would help, but a pool guy told me to start putting a nylon sock on the basket and that catches everything from going into your filter.

Before putting the sock on though I stick a chlorine tablet(big one) at the bottom of the skimmer basket and it helps keep the filter cleaner....

Has worked for me lately.

Misty

Well Charles, You do what you think is best. I don't know what area you live in so I don't know when you are going to close your pool. The people that use the Slime Bag like it.

If I had a cloudy pool and couldn't get it clear, I would be trying anything and everything.

Pool will close sometime in October... later depending if I get a solar heater.

Just checked the pool again today. The water is clear! Bizarre. I guess the filter just needed time. The dead algae has settled to the bottom. I need to vacuum it up without stirring it much...

i know it takes about 7 days to get it clear but also keep the chlorine up for a while. there isnt too much you can do besides keeping up the chlorine and changing out the filter. at least it was for me when i had that problem last year. the pantyhose or whatever you put on the outlet isnt going to help. better off to put in on the skimmer to help your filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.