additional sleeves

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Happy New Yr to all.

I have read over time posts about adding more umbrella sleeves, or wishing that "we did". We have one sleeve in the pool 8" tanning shelf area. Does anyone have other recommendations on places that after the install was complete, wished they would have put an umbrella sleeve in area(s) X?

Lastly, we were contracted to have two volleyball sleeves and one tanning shelf sleeve. The crew that applies the pebblesheen just cleaned-out the pool, and only one plastic sleeve was prviously left by the PB. I think they forgot the volleyball sleeves. I see the hole drilled for the tanning shelf, but not for the VB sleeves. We have a raised wall & columns on one side and regular coping/pool/decking on the other side where the VB-sleeves would go. By now, would the VB sleeves been installed or is there still time to do so? We paid for three sleeves, so we can either put in two more U-sleeves or get a credit i would assume? What does an extra sleeve typically cost if it was a change/order or add on? Just want to keep all options open.

If you have any questions, pls let me know?

Note: we added 2 fire bowls as the end of the walls two columns. there are two scupper columns in the middle, then two f-bowls on the end of the wall on top of two columns. At this point, I am thinking a V-Ball net might not be a good idea...they are a bronzes coppper bowls w black glass in them - thx

Thanks,
tstex

I had a bunch of umbrella sleeves positioned around the perimeter of my pool on one side, one of which is dangerously close to the edge of the decking, and I was supposed to get 2 volleyball sleeves a per my contract, but none were installed at all. My PB promised to add them but never did. The decking company might charge upward of $150-200 per sleeve to add additional. Just make sure they don't try to add them too close to the edge of the decking or it will cause more problems than it's worth.

I cant offer any advice on how much a change order would be, but you will definitely want them install before the plaster is applied.
Of course part of the equation of this, is how thick the gunite is where the volleyball sleeves go. I dont think it would be wise to drill all the way through the gunite, for fear of a leak at some point in time. (I dont know how long a sleeve is, but I would think at least 6"...so this might be a mute point.

And you're right, those bowls might get broken by a volleyball. Good thinking on that one.

If you ordered 3 and only got 1, then you should either get credit, or trade for something else of equal value.
If you think omitting them is what you really want to do, then don't tell the PB that. It's conceiveable he would consider that a change order and charge you for it, or argue that you shouldn't get credit because you changed your mind.

Great advice guys, thanks. I will keep quiet and wait until the pebble tech is done.

I have asked the PB how much 2 extra sleeves would cost? His reply was "where do you want them installed?". I was thinking somwhere close to the spa, but since we have travertine pavers that are not cemented in w compacted aggregate below, into the decking does not look feasible.

THe PB suggested in the spa and additional in tanning shelf...I am going w that and asking to see if I can get covers/caps when not in use..

Thank you for your suggestions and help.

Happy New Year to all - tstex

We bought 2 granite umbrella bases from Lowes and love them. They have lasted 3 years so far with no signs of wear. They have wheels and are fairly easy to move. We have never had any issue with umbrellas falling over. We usually leave them open all summer, although we try to close them if it gets stormy. 40 bucks each.

We bought 2 granite umbrella bases from Lowes and love them. They have lasted 3 years so far with no signs of wear. They have wheels and are fairly easy to move. We have never had any issue with umbrellas falling over. We usually leave them open all summer, although we try to close them if it gets stormy. 40 bucks each.

That's a great suggestion too. Lowes is nearby also...now I think I am going to have to build a storage shed for all of the pool and other goods...HNY, tstex

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.