Pool cover for the winter or no?

jsun

Jun 13, 2008
This will be the first time closing our pool; and I would like to do it myself; not sure if I am ready yet.

The pool place up the road is having a tent sale with 20% off all chemicals; I went up and saw 5 or 6 different pool closing kits, what do I need?

Also there was a tarp on the pool last year, which was torn and we threw out.

We have an older mesh cover for leaves, do we get another tarp, or drop some cash on a more expensive cover, or just go with the mesh cover by itself?

We are located in northern new-england; pool is fenced in but surrounded by oak trees.

As you can tell I feel like I'm a little bit over my head; but this forum has really helped me out with the pool this summer, and I'm hoping that it will be able to help me out preparing for winter as well.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The cover is a decision that you should make, everyone has their own preference, from no cover, to the mesh cover, to the solid covers, etc. As for the kits, save your money. If you look at the ingredients, they are granular chlorine, alkalinity adjuster and an algaecide, usually. So if my TA is fine, why would I need something called Alk Adjuster when it doesn't even list the active ingredients? (the kit I used to by didn't list the ingredients for the Alk Adjuster. Who knows what was in it!) All for the bargain price of $30-$50 depending on pool gallonage.

You are fine to shock your pool with liquid chlorine, and if you like, use Polyquat 60 algaecide. Even if you opened in the spring to green water, you have the perfect resource here to help you clear it up. I no longer worry about winterizing my pool, if it's green I can fix it.

I shocked, forgot the Polyquat 60, and covered it....and was lucky to open in May to Crystal clear water, the best looking my water had been in years.

Good luck. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.