DavidD

Mar 29, 2007
Mt Juliet, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a 20k gallon IG vinyl liner pool that has developed a major leak. I Noticed it late new years eve and it has lost almost 2.5 feet of water since. I guess while vacuuming it for our new years eve party I must have somehow exerted enough pressure on the brittle old liner to cause it to crack/tear. There appears to be a 6" long crack/rip about 12" from the bottom on the sloping part of the wall, of course in the 8' deep end. The liner is nearly 11 years old, faded and I'm ready to replace anyway. I have not spoken with my trusted local pool company yet but plan to first thing Monday morning when they re-open. I'm guessing it could be a month or more before a new liner could be installed. Because the pool is raised (surrounded by a brick retaining wall on 2 sides, a pool house/garage and the house on the other 2 sides) I don't believe I should really be to concerned with the walls collapsing or anything because of back pressure. So, my question for you experts is:

Do I just let it drain all the way down, knowing it may be a month or more before a new liner could be installed?
~or~
Do I take the polar plunge and patch the leak keeping a minimal amount of water to at least cover the shallow end while waiting on the new liner.

Time is of the essence as I'm guessing at this rate the shallow in will be empty by morning.

If you are going to be replacing the liner it shouldn't be a problem to allow the pool to drain down as far as it feels like going. The only exception would be if there is an exceptionally large amount of moving ground water in your area, basically am underground stream flowing through where the pool is, but that is fairly unusual.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.