Salt for SWG?

Pool Math will help you with the calculation.

You can use softener salt provided it does NOT have additives like Iron remover or resin cleaning on the label. The best buy in this category is Solar salt. It's just as pure as "pool salt" and a lot cheaper. Slightly longer to dissolve as it isn't pulverized, but no matter, it takes only a little while anyway.

Hi,
Softener salt is fine for adding to your pool.
"Solar" salt is popular. I use it. Its should say 99% pure on the bag.

the different salt system manufacturers have different requirements for the salt levels for their equipment. They range anywhere from 3000ppm to 4500ppm of salt in the water. Tell us what type of SWG you have and we can help.

One of the nice things about TFP is that handy little tool called Pool Math. There is a tab at top of page for it.
If you click on that, and then enter your 18,000 into the volume then enter your salt level of 0 into the appropate place,
and then your salt level goal, and click the calculate button, it will tell you how much salt to add to the pool to acheive the goal.

For example for 18K pool
goal of 3000 = 452 lbs
goal of 3500 = 527 lbs
goal of 4000 = 603 lbs
goal of 4500 = 678 lbs

Pool Math will help you with the calculation.

You can use softener salt provided it does NOT have additives like Iron remover or resin cleaning on the label. The best buy in this category is Solar salt. It's just as pure as "pool salt" and a lot cheaper. Slightly longer to dissolved as it isn't pulverized, but no matter, it takes only a little while anyway.

How about Morton solar salt?

http://www.homedepot.com/s/solar%20salt?NCNI-5

it says 99.5% pure.

Your current pool water has 0ppm of salt? Really? How do you know? I just converted my daughter's pool to a salt system and 'assumed' that I was starting with 0ppm salt, but read here that might not be true. Ordered a salt test kit and the water tested at about 1200ppm before I added any salt. I suggest you test your water first so that you'll know your starting point.

http://tftestkits.net/K-1766-Taylor-Salt-Test-p31.html

I bought my pool salt at Home Depot and it was labeled as "Diamond Crystal, Splash Ready Pool Salt" I suspect it is just like any other salt, but it made me feel better that it was specifically labeled for pool use. I believe it cost between $6 and $7 bucks a bag.

Jim R.

Hummm.. the bag says is pellets. I really dont know what that means as to the solubility of it or any other thing.
It might be ok though. I just don't know.

Ive always used the Solar Naturals crystals. At least ay my local HD, the solar naturals are 1.08 a bag cheaper than Mortons...

How about Morton solar salt?

http://www.homedepot.com/s/solar%20salt?NCNI-5

it says 99.5% pure.

The blue bags are fine. Crystals are better than pellets, though you can use pellets if you need to for some reason.

The water will never start at 0 ppm of salt, there will always be some salt. With a fresh fill it might be fairly close to zero, but if the pool has been in use for a while the salt level can easily be 1000+.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just remember you don't need to buy expensive "POOL SALT". I prefer the Solar Salt Crystals, they look like diamonds when you pour them into the water. At the most they'll take a couple hours to dissolve (depending on water temp, warmer water, faster dissolve.

THAT is so funny! Seems like salt bags are much like feed bags :) -Karen

You ever used a shop vac on the spilled contents of a feed bag? No way I was letting 40 lbs of salt kill my grass. Also no way I was gonna throw away that much salt. Three the salt, dirt, and grass on the pool. Just had to vacuum a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, remember you may want to make multiple trips with the salt in your vehicle. Also add about 1/2 to 3/4 the amount, measure, then top off. It's easier to add then to try to remove, it you add too much.

As mentioned here don't add the full amount right away. Add 1/2 to 3/4 like bobdaclown says and also give it a few days and then retest the salt level. If your tested salt level differs from what is shown on your SWG then you can usually do a recalibration on the SWG so they match up assuming your sensor is clean and reporting properly first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.