Quick question about freeze protection and my Easytouch 8

Killer95Stang

Aug 17, 2012
Sunny SoCal
So, for the first time that I could remember, we went under 35 degrees at my house. Seriously, in my part of CA, that is bigger than the invention of In and Out burgers (maybe not that big). So freeze protection kicked on like it was supposed to at 35 degrees and alternated between pool mode and spa mode every 15 minutes until the air temp was back above 35. But, I did find something odd. All three pool lights were on while the freeze protection was active and they wouldn't turn off when I hit the buttons on the remote. When the freeze protection ended, the lights went with it and everything was back to normal operation.

So, are the lights supposed to be on with freeze protection?

hummm.. I dont think the lights really need to be freeze protected. It sounds as if the freeze protection in your system is wired so that it energizes all of the control panel, hence the lights come on. Nothing really wrong with that I suppose, but it does seem strange that its hooked up that way (if indeed thats the case). Usually its just the pump circuit that is energized.

Check your lights setting to see if it's has "Freeze Protection" activated. It's going to be in the 'SETTINGS' > 'CIRCUIT FUNC.' > 'whatever your light circuit name is'.

First time temps hit below 35 (28) with the new pool here in NorCal this AM and while I'm not really concerned that we'll ever have a hard freeze is was reassuring to know that freeze protection did work as advertised.

Thanks guys... I checked the "Circuit Functions" for the SPA Light / Pool Lights and Freeze was enabled. I turned it off and everything is good in the world again. If weren't just a complete waste of electricity, I would probably just leave it on to see when the Freeze Protection actually goes on. Otherwise... HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.