Looking for brilliant ideas

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
I have a ton of leaves and acorns in the bottom of my pool. It takes forever to scoop them out with a leaf rake and it is way more than my little Pool Rover Jr can handle. I want to use a leaf gulper (leaf eater, whatever...) but I want to modify it so I can use part of the return flow to power the leaf gulper instead of attaching it to a water hose. I have one of these fountains. The elbow pulls off the nipple on the return fitting. I was thinking I could use some zip ties and attach a backwash hose to the leaf gulper and the nipple on the return fitting. How does this sound?

Sounds like you had a weeeeeeeeeeee bit too much of New year's last nite!...(to come up with that!)

But seriously.....won't hurt a thing to try it. Nice out of the box idea I think.

Why not just make an adaptor that turns the return to a hose thread and use a section of garden hose? Unless you have a special backwash hose, it won't take much pressure before it splits.

Check this out: i/2 pipe to 3/4 hose coupling thread: http://www.lowes.com/pd_138420-1815-MHT104RMC_0__
025528704711.jpg

The return opening is 1 1/2", so I would still need something to go from 3/4" to 1 1/2". The fountain fitting has an adjustable "window" in it so you can control the amount of water pressure that goes to the fountain. When the window is closed the fountain shoots out the opposite side of the pool! I think I could adjust the pressure so splitting wouldn't be a problem. I used a similar set up to pump water out of the pool before I switched over to a sand filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.