Winterizing Pool: Sand Filter continues to drain

I recently purchased a home with an existing AGP. The previous owner has winterized the pool which included removing the drain cap off of a Dream Line High-Rate Sand Filter. We've recently had some heavy rain and now there is a steady trickle of water coming out of the drain on the sand filter. Over the last several days, the area around the pool has flooded. I am extremely new to pools and do not know if should this be happening? I imagine that the excess rain water is flowing through the overflow and making its way into the sand filter which then drains because the cap is off... I know I'm not supposed to put the drain cap back on, but I also don't want my yard to continue flooding. Thoughts?

Sounds like you need a skimmer face plug to me. Somebody please chime in if setting the filter to "closed" or "winter" position would help after it has been drained to keep water from reentering the filter. Welcome to the forum.

The water level is at the return. We have had some heavy rains which I know caused the water level inside the pool to rise as well as saturate the ground around the pool. Makes sense to plug the return. The previous homeowner left a large pool box on the deck; hopefully the plug is in there. I just wanted to make sure that this was 'supposed' to happen. Now that I see the flooding potential, I will be running some drain lines from the low areas yard to help alleviate the issue. In the meantime, I'm going to read up on all there is know about owning a pool :)

For an above ground pool, the hose is often disconnected from the return. That way any overflow will simply run out on the ground, and can't possibly get to the filter. Plugging the return will also work, though it is ever so slightly less reliable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.