Concretoglassvinyl technology.

Aug 19, 2014
Shallotte, NC
OK, I'm going to post this here.... not sure where it fits, since I couldn't find a "Craziest Stuff You Ever Heard" Forum.

Our new-to-us house had a concrete pool.... that is, until we discovered it wasn't REALLY concrete. We discovered it was FIBREGLASS! Yeah, well, not really... it seems that it was originally a liner type pool that was (at some point in history) fiberglassed.

Has anybody ever heard of anything like this?

We're faced with needing to repaint the pool or put a liner back in...... any thoughts?

There have been a few instances of pools being converted from one type to another with mixed results. I have no knowledge of how to convert a pool myself, but if the sides are smooth you are more likely to be happier with a vinyl liner than attempting a paint job on top of fiberglass. Do you have any pictures of the pool you can post?

Fiberglass should never be painted in the usual sense, instead it should be patched if needed and then re-coated with gelcoat. The exception would be if there is major damage, at which point going back to a vinyl liner might end up being simpler.

There have been a few instances of pools being converted from one type to another with mixed results. I have no knowledge of how to convert a pool myself, but if the sides are smooth you are more likely to be happier with a vinyl liner than attempting a paint job on top of fiberglass. Do you have any pictures of the pool you can post?

Here are some descriptive photos..... one showing the track for a vinyl liner in the corner of the pool....

http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/ewkearns/slideshow/

Vinyl Liner Advice.....

We have just learned that our pool was originally built as a vinyl liner pool. Subsequently, somebody fiberglassed the pool and, now, the "whatever" that should be touching the water is in poor repair. It appears that whatever gel coat, if there was any has been "painted" with some sort of coating.

The pool companies that we have had look at the mess we have are suggesting that we go back with a vinyl liner.

Another thread in the forum suggests that the color of liner chosen may affect the longevity of the liner.... also, we don't really know what sort of liner to avoid or prefer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as we are just beginning to look into this new twist in pool ownership....

Re: Vinyl Liner Advice.....

We just put in a vinyl liner pool last spring and picked out a medium blue and love it. Thought possibly this would help the longevity with fading from the sun becuase we know our chemicals are in check thanks to TFP!

I think its 21mm thick and will last with good chemical balance anywhere from 10 to 15 years. Average price to replace is anywhere from 3 to 4 thousand dollars on a pool around your size. Vinyl is tuff and will not tear due to pets, jewerly etc.

Good luck and hope you have it open to enjoy this spring/summer!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, guys.... pool guy is here and has solved part of the mystery! The pool was originally a wooden pool! I didn't know there WAS such a thing, but this guy says that was the type of pool he installed when he first got into the business. Subsequently, somebody fiberglassed over the wood.... then when the gell coat failed they painted over that with some sort of hard "paint."

Now, for a liner. He is suggesting we go with a 20/28 mil liner from GLI....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.