Building a New Pool in Dallas Suburb Advice Needed Please!

We talked to John at Southernwind several times, they were incredibly responsive to our questions during our research phase - unfortunately they don't build in my area and I couldn't get him to budge....

+1 - John and Southernwind are/have been great for me. One of the big differences between Hauk and Southernwind is that Southernwind shoots the pools with Shotcrete (wet-mix), not Gunite (dry mix). This is significantly more expensive and well worth the 10% premium. Also, Southernwind uses #4 rebar as standard, Hauk uses #3. Southernwind uses 3 inch suction lines and 2.5 inch on returns. And finally, Southernwind gives lifetime warranty on stonework and plumbing, Hauk is 1 year. Given this, the 10% difference is trivial.

+1 - John and Southernwind are/have been great for me. One of the big differences between Hauk and Southernwind is that Southernwind shoots the pools with Shotcrete (wet-mix), not Gunite (dry mix). This is significantly more expensive and well worth the 10% premium. Also, Southernwind uses #4 rebar as standard, Hauk uses #3. Southernwind uses 3 inch suction lines and 2.5 inch on returns. And finally, Southernwind gives lifetime warranty on stonework and plumbing, Hauk is 1 year. Given this, the 10% difference is trivial.

I really wish we had been able to go with Southernwind. They were my first choice but they couldn't come down anymore in price and their price was out of my budget. Because of the size of our pool they are using the #4 rebar on our pool and I will definitely be making sure that this is the case.

We haven't had any work done yet (not that I expected any) but as soon as it starts I will post pictures!

Totally understand, you have to call the budget at some point. The fact is every builder in this area has raised prices significantly due to demand. Hauk builds a fine pool all things considered

Southernwind told us when we talked to them that they had raised their prices somewhere around 35% over the last three years. We had friends who used them and have loved their customer service. That's why we were hoping to use them. Hopefully we will be ok with Hauk!

After just completing a build by owner myself, I am now very familiar with the builder costs and I recommend you stick to a payment structure that allows you to always have the upper hand. If a builder doesn't want to agree to terms favorable TO YOU, go find another. If things go bad in the middle of the build and you have reason to terminate the contract with the builder due to bridge of contract, its easier to just go find a new builder to finish the job with the money you still have on the bank than go to court and try to get the money you already paid to be returned.

See below. Builders like to combine many of these steps together for their convenience, but I recommend you stick to your guns and pay as followes (for inground pools). Note, if you can break these payments down into even more installments with more detailed milestones even better. MartinKennedy was able to do a great job at that, but that is not likely the case:

5% at signing
15% when pool is excavated AND rebar/form is complete
15% when electrical AND plumbing rough is complete
15% when gunite/shotcrete is complete
15% when backfills, deck, coping and tiles are complete
15% when equipment is installed, final electrical and final plumbing is complete.
15% when pool is plastered
5% AFTER FINAL INSPECTION is passed and job is site is 100% clean and completed.

I don't get why builders consider the job finished with the plaster. The job is finished when the final inspection is passed and the job is site is ready for a party!

After just completing a build by owner myself, I am now very familiar with the builder costs and I recommend you stick to a payment structure that allows you to always have the upper hand. If a builder doesn't want to agree to terms favorable TO YOU, go find another. If things go bad in the middle of the build and you have reason to terminate the contract with the builder due to bridge of contract, its easier to just go find a new builder to finish the job with the money you still have on the bank than go to court and try to get the money you already paid to be returned.

See below. Builders like to combine many of these steps together for their convenience, but I recommend you stick to your guns and pay as followes (for inground pools). Note, if you can break these payments down into even more installments with more detailed milestones even better. MartinKennedy was able to do a great job at that, but that is not likely the case:

5% at signing
15% when pool is excavated AND rebar/form is complete
15% when electrical AND plumbing rough is complete
15% when gunite/shotcrete is complete
15% when backfills, deck, coping and tiles are complete
15% when equipment is installed, final electrical and final plumbing is complete.
15% when pool is plastered
5% AFTER FINAL INSPECTION is passed and job is site is 100% clean and completed.

I don't get why builders consider the job finished with the plaster. The job is finished when the final inspection is passed and the job is site is ready for a party!

^^^^^^^^^^^ For sure!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.