Varible speed pump needed for smaller pool.

I'm looking to upgrade the single speed failing pump at my new place to a variable speed pump. The pool is suppose to be around 13,000 gallons. The best bargain I have found seems to be this pump: http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP2300VSP-Variable-Speed-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00C76UUK0/

The downside is that it doesn't have its own integrated timer. But when powered by an external timer it will run at one speed for a certain amount of time, then switch to a different speed. Seems to be well reviewed, and has a much smaller percentage of one star reviews than the other pumps I've seen on amazon.

Are there any other pumps I should be looking at?

The Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo VS is a good choice. Two things to keep in mind, first they are in the process of replacing that model with a slightly different model, which might affect availability. Second, it does not play will with external automation systems (other than on off control), only with external timers. If you plan to add an automation system in the future you might want to look elsewhere.

How did you come up with 2000 RPM? Depending on the head loss in your plumbing, the flow rate could be as low as 30 GPM at that RPM which may not be enough to keep the VRV closed nor prime the panels.

I guess I didn't think about the head loss of the pipes filter. The panels will be about 15ft at the highest point. I could run it faster at the beginning and end of the season for better efficiency I suppose. I will have eight 4x10's for a 13000 gallon pool so I don't think I should have a problem regardless. Though if I have to run it so fast I would really only be saving energy in the winter it seems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.