Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: well water,stright or softened?

1. Back To Top    #1

well water,stright or softened?

i have been told by 2 different leslie stores.
    1 seys well water stright to keep the salts down.
    the other seys throu the softner to keep the ph up.
    whos right?
    thanks john.

22,000.vinyl inground
    17'x35' ovel 28,000gal.inground
    vinyl liner 150sq,ft, cartidge

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Possibly neither....what are you doing with the water? Filling a pool?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    What you want to do is first run all the water into the pool through the softener, then empty out the water into the ground next to the well.

Do this quite a few times (20-30 to be safe), then wait a week or two. This will allow your demineralized water to filter through the ground back into the water table around your well, removing the salt.

At this stage, you then run the water straight into the pool, leaving you with softened water, but with no salt!

(Note: All of the above is said with tongue in cheek, and hopefully by this stage you should realize that is not what to do, but hey, maybe I should apply for a job at a pool store!! )
    Jim

4. Back To Top    #4
    A water softener is not designed to handle thousands of gallons. If you are just topping off the pool you can use it, but otherwise it is going to be a challenge to keep it working through a fill (many recharge cycles).

Salt is not generally a problem unless your water is *very* hard, and then it is better than the alternative.

The best thing to do is to test the water with and without the softener and lookup the capacity of the softener between recharges. With that info in hand you can make a more informed decision.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    I always fill from my pump.
    16x33 fiberglass pool sand filter