New IntelliFlo install

max2k

Dec 29, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Hi All,

I was referred to the forum by one of the members and I found it extremely useful for new pool owner like myself (1 month experience). I decided to upgrade my pool station a little and just purchased IntelliFlo 011018 pump to replace old Hayward 1.5 HP one which is currently there mostly to lower electric bill and reduce noise. I'd like to understand the purpose of some of my current install first:

1. Dump pipe- does it need to have that many elbows and make a U part to create a water block for the air from sewer pipe as the valve is going to be closed anyway:
DumpPipe.jpg

2. Outlet pipe- does it need to have so many turns as it doesn't go anywhere but filter valve inlet only:
PumpOutlet.jpg

3. Overall design- IntelliFlo manual requires to have 10 inlet pipe diameters of straight pipe run in front of it. My current install is quite the opposite- should I change it to comply with the manual:
PumpInlet.jpg

Any input is greatly appreciated.

1 & 2) No, neither run requires that many elbows. They appear to be there because of the tight spacing and angles. If you can do it more neatly, with fewer fittings, that would be great. However, I expect that will be difficult to achieve unless you spread out the equipment more.

3) This is not a critical requirement, but still a very good idea. Again, your current setup has elbows because of the tight quarters. If you can eliminate them that would be great, if not everything will still work, though you may have minor problems priming the pump.

Not sure you have the room, but this is would be a great opportunity to clean up that mess. I'd swing the pump around to face the inlet from the pool. This would also allow you the space needed to connect the pump output directly to the filter without all the roller-coaster plumbing. Moving the pump might also make it possible for you to get to your filter a little easier. Could just be your pics, but it sure looks like a PIA to remove the filter top the way it is currently configured. I suggest you buy two new Pentair IntelliFlo Threaded Unions, if you have not already done so.

Jim R.

Thank you for sharing your expertise, I'll most likely will go with Jim's suggestion and turn the pump to be on the same axis as the straight pipe from the pool. The space is tight but it seems it will work- I'll have about 1 inch left between motor cover and the wooden door leading to the station. The door swings wide open so I'll have easy access to the pump.

BTW, I found these unions on sale: http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Pentair-11201-0154-10-Union-Box-of-10/11201-0154-10.htm Do you know if they will fit? The price is suspiciously great.

Max,

I'm never in the right place to get a deal like that :cool:... but, I actually suspect the price is for one each. They come from Pentair in boxes of 10. When I goggled the Pentair P/N 11201-0154-10, I see other pool supply houses selling the boxes of 10 in the $170, dollar range. The part itself seems to be the right one.

All the PVC work I have ever done has been with the "slop the glue on, put it together, wait 1 sec, and your done" type of glue. If you didn't get something lined up right, too bad. I watched the plumbers who are in the process of installing my pool, and they used some gray colored PVC cement that had a couple of minutes of set time. They could move things around to get things to line up.. it was great. Not sure what type of cement it was, but the next time I need to do some PVC work, especially where alignment is critical, I'm going to find out. Maybe one of the old hands here will chip in with the details.

Jim R.

I couldn't believe my eyes but the part # has '-10' at the end which identifies 'box of 10' I believe, especially taking into account that other places sell XXX-2 as 'box of 2'. They also list regular price for that item in $200+ range on the very same page which seems correct. I just don't know, probably someone missed the decimal point when updating the price :). I placed the order, let's see what they send.

Thank you for the info on the cement, I'll definitely need more than 1 sec setting time.

Happy New Year everyone!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.