Appreciate VS Pump Replacement Advice

Dec 29, 2014
San Diego CA
Hello, I am new to this forum, and appreciate all the good
info I see being shared.

I'm looking at replacing my 2005 functioning WhisperFlo single speed pump.
I thought I was under the gun to buy before Dec 31, 2104 to get the local
$200 rebate, but after calling today, the rebate is planned to be extended into 2015.

Greatly appreciate your input and if it's easier to point me to an existing post, that would
be appreciated as well.

Objective - reduce electric usage; reduce pump noise. I typically run the pump 2.5-3hrs during the winter and 6-7hrs in the summer with the solar on (Apr-Nov).

I have no automation system other than a controller that opens the solar valve when the switch is turned to auto. I also have a basic rotatory timer that starts/stops the pool pump. My thoughts were to run the VS pump at a higher RPM all summer to heat the pool via the solar and then back the RPM way down in the winter (non-swim months). I wasn't really planning on any additional controllers.

Current equipment:
Location - San Diego, CA
2005 WhisperFlo single speed 1HP pump - 3450rpm (included a couple of photos).
Eleven (11) 4x12 Eco Sun solar panels (rated at 3GPM minimum; 5GPM recommended),
mounted on single story roof with short piping.
16,300 gallon pool; 1.5" piping to/from pool; all rest of the piping 2".
No spa, waterfall or gas heater.
Periodically use a Hayward robotic pool cleaner via the port in the skimmer.

Qualifying Pool Pumps for $200 rebate:

AguaPro Systems 2.4 SunRunner SUNVS4
Fluidra USA 1 Model P280 P280
Fluidra USA 2 Model P580 P580
Fluidra USA 1 Model P300 P300
Fluidra USA 2 Model P600 P600
Hayward 1.5 Max-Flo VS SP2300VSP
Hayward 1.5 Super Pump VS SP2600VSP
Hayward 1.5 TriStar Energy Solution Variable Speed Pump Control SP3200VSPND
Hayward 1.5 TriStar Energy Solution Variable Speed Pump Control SP3200VSP
Hayward 2 TriStar - 2.7 THP SP322063EEV
Hayward 2 EcoStar Variable Speed Pump SP3400VSP
Hayward 2 EcoStar SVRS Variable Speed Pump SP3400VSPVR
Pentair 3 IntelliFlo XF INT-VS/022005
Pentair 1 IntelliFlo i1 11008
Pentair 3 IntelliFlo Variable Speed 11018
Pentair 3 IntelliFlo VF 11012
Pentair 3 IntelliFlo VS + SVRS 11017
Pentair 3 IntelliFlo VS-3050 11013
Pentair 3 SuperFlo VS 342000
Speck Pumps 2 Badu EcoMV 433-V
Speck Pumps 3 Badu EcoMV 433-Vi
Speck Pumps 2 Badu EcoMV 72-V
Speck Pumps 3 Badu EcoMV 72-Vi
Speck Pumps 1 Badu Variable Speed EcoM3V
Speck Pumps 1.65 Variable Speed Pool/Spa Pump PS165VSP
Speck Pumps 2.7 Variable Speed Pool/Spa Pump PS270VSP
Sta-Rite 3 IntelliPro Variable Speed P6E6VS4H-209L
Sta-Rite 3 IntelliPro VS + SVRS P6E6XS4H-209L
Sta-Rite 3 IntelliPro VS-3050 P6E6Y4H-209L
Sta-Rite 1.5 SuperMax VS 343000
Sta-Rite 3 IntelliPro XF INP-VS/023005
Waterway Plastics Inc. 3 ECONO-VS ECONO-VS
Waterway Plastics Inc. 2.7 ECONO-VSA ECONO-VSA
Waterway Plastics Inc. 1.65 ECONVSA-165 ECONVSA-165
Zodiac 1.5 ePUMP JEP1.5 1.8 SF 2 1/2 inch fitting
Zodiac 2 ePUMP JEP2.0 1.35 SF - 2 1/2 inch fitting
Zodiac 2 ePUMP + SVRS JEP2.0SVRS 1.35 SF - 2 1/2 inch fitting
Zodiac 1 VS FloPro VS-FHP 1.0 1.65 SF - 2 inch fitting
Zodiac 2 VS FloPro Variable Speed Pump VS-FHP 2.0

image (6).jpgimage[2] (3).jpgimage[3] (3).jpgimage[1] (5).jpg

Welcome to TFP!

Do you have an automation system? If so you will want to get a pump that is compatible, normally meaning of the same brand.

If you don't have an automation system, you will want to get a pump with built-in timer.

Hi and welcome to TFP!

Man that's a long list of pumps!

Out of that list, we see more Hayward and Pentair here on TFP. I personally have a Pentair 11018 and even though the 3 HP is wayyy overkill, I wouldn't take or trade for it.
It offers a lot of flixibility for just about every imaginable scenario.

Regarding any of the VS pumps, In order to fully realize the potential energy savings, I think the ability to program the pump to automatically run a daily schedule is of consideration. For Example... run x RPM for x hours at x time(s) of the day. The scenario repeats every day.

Not all of the VS pumps offer the flexibility to run a Schedule without using an external controller or perhaps a timer system of some sort, expecially the lower cost ones.

If you are keen on the ability of the pump to run on a daily schedule, then narrow down the list to pumps that have the ability to do that.
And vice versa if you have a controller and dont need or want the ability to run a schedule directly from the pump control.

Note: In your research, beware of the marketing tactics on the product you are looking at. You will read that many of the VS pumps, for example, offer the ability to program 8 speeds. That is partially misleading. That flexibility exists only with an external controller, such as an Intellitouch (for pentair pumps). If programming speeds from the pump controller, you only have 3 or 4, depending on the model. SO, in order to know what is what, read the whole owner manual so that you dont end up with a product that doesnt fit your expectations.

Welcome to TFP!

Do you have an automation system? If so you will want to get a pump that is compatible, normally meaning of the same brand.

If you don't have an automation system, you will want to get a pump with built-in timer.

Thanks JasonLion. Sorry, I forgot to include that I have no automation system other than a controller that opens the solar valve when the switch is turned to auto. I also have a basic rotatory timer that starts/stops the pool pump. My thoughts were to run the VS pump at a higher RPM all summer to heat the pool via the solar and then back the RPM way down in the winter (non-swim months). I wasn't really planning on any additional controllers.

Hi and welcome to TFP!

Man that's a long list of pumps!

Out of that list, we see more Hayward and Pentair here on TFP. I personally have a Pentair 11018 and even though the 3 HP is wayyy overkill, I wouldn't take or trade for it.
It offers a lot of flixibility for just about every imaginable scenario.

Regarding any of the VS pumps, In order to fully realize the potential energy savings, I think the ability to program the pump to automatically run a daily schedule is of consideration. For Example... run x RPM for x hours at x time(s) of the day. The scenario repeats every day.

Not all of the VS pumps offer the flexibility to run a Schedule without using an external controller or perhaps a timer system of some sort, expecially the lower cost ones.

If you are keen on the ability of the pump to run on a daily schedule, then narrow down the list to pumps that have the ability to do that.
And vice versa if you have a controller and dont need or want the ability to run a schedule directly from the pump control.

Note: In your research, beware of the marketing tactics on the product you are looking at. You will read that many of the VS pumps, for example, offer the ability to program 8 speeds. That is partially misleading. That flexibility exists only with an external controller, such as an Intellitouch (for pentair pumps). If programming speeds from the pump controller, you only have 3 or 4, depending on the model. SO, in order to know what is what, read the whole owner manual so that you dont end up with a product that doesnt fit your expectations.

Thanks DivinDave. Appreciate your quick response and input. Now that the holidays are over, I'll dig into the pump research. The Pentair 11018 was one of the pumps I was considering prior to learning about this site. What's your thought on the noise it produces? Is it fairly quiet even at higher RPMs ? I assume it has the ability to run a schedule, is that correct ? Appreciate the heads up on the programmable 8 speeds, I was not aware of an external controller need. Given my original post, do you feel the 11018 would fit my needs from your experience ? Thanks again, and happy new year.

Splash,

My pump issues are identical and I too have the same size pool with a solar system and reside in San Diego as well. With limited knowledge, I hope a few more of the subject matter experts weigh-in. As my pump is located next to the house and pool, noise level is of the utmost importance. Lastly, let's consider sharing information on final solution/path forward in regards to pump and installers.

Thank you!
jayjayaz

I also switched from an old Hayward Superpump single speed to a Pentair VS 11018 last year. I have no automation system. I have a solar heat system with a controller that just opens and closes the valve, and an old mechanical timer which is now used only to control the power to my SWG.

I'm very happy with the new pump. It has onboard control that allows for scheduling. During swim season, I have it set to run at a higher speed in the AM to clean and heat up the pool with the solar, then a mid range speed through mid day to keep it well chlorinated and circulated, then a third setting of 1,000 rpm until midnight (just because it makes the water look so very clean and sparkle, and only uses 100 watts). Now, in off season I just run it a couple hours at a mid range.

In in addition to the scheduled program, you can also set 4 pre set speeds that are avail at the touch of a button (it will return to your schedule at the next programed change) and you can setup a quick clean button to your choice of speed and duration, also at the touch of a button.

As far as the sound of the pump, it is very quiet except at its very highest speeds where it does whine a bit. But, it being a very efficient 3 hp. pump, you will probably never have any need to ever run it at its highest speeds. With the exception of back washing my filter, I never have. All in all, it seems like a great pump for my application.

Splash,

My pump issues are identical and I too have the same size pool with a solar system and reside in San Diego as well. With limited knowledge, I hope a few more of the subject matter experts weigh-in. As my pump is located next to the house and pool, noise level is of the utmost importance. Lastly, let's consider sharing information on final solution/path forward in regards to pump and installers.

Thank you!
jayjayaz

jayjayaz,

Thanks for sharing your input and set up. Like you, I look forward to some more input from the subject matter experts. I'll definitely share my final plans shortly.

I also switched from an old Hayward Superpump single speed to a Pentair VS 11018 last year. I have no automation system. I have a solar heat system with a controller that just opens and closes the valve, and an old mechanical timer which is now used only to control the power to my SWG.

I'm very happy with the new pump. It has onboard control that allows for scheduling. During swim season, I have it set to run at a higher speed in the AM to clean and heat up the pool with the solar, then a mid range speed through mid day to keep it well chlorinated and circulated, then a third setting of 1,000 rpm until midnight (just because it makes the water look so very clean and sparkle, and only uses 100 watts). Now, in off season I just run it a couple hours at a mid range.

In in addition to the scheduled program, you can also set 4 pre set speeds that are avail at the touch of a button (it will return to your schedule at the next programed change) and you can setup a quick clean button to your choice of speed and duration, also at the touch of a button.

As far as the sound of the pump, it is very quiet except at its very highest speeds where it does whine a bit. But, it being a very efficient 3 hp. pump, you will probably never have any need to ever run it at its highest speeds. With the exception of back washing my filter, I never have. All in all, it seems like a great pump for my application.

chiefwej,

Greatly appreciate your input on the Pentair VS 11018. Couple questions when you get a chance, 1) what approx RPM settings did you end up with while using the solar and mid day (mid-range) as you noted above? 2) have you seen much of an energy savings with the 11018 verses the single speed ? I assume off-swim season would be greater.

I didn't replace the pump to save money. With my utility cost the pay back for purcase and install will take a while.

Your savings will depend on your utility cost, how inefficient the old pump is, and what speed setting you require. I can't be sure but I think I cut my electric by more than half.

According to what I figure from the plate on it, my old pump used 2,850 watts. I'm running the new pump at 2,400 rpm (850 watt draw) in the AM, 1700 rpm (350 watts) mid day, and the optional low and slow time until midnight is 1,000 rpm (100 watts). Since my pump replacement was during mid season I was still "dialing in" perfect run speeds when the season ended. I'll further perfect it next year. I may want to up that first setting, but you can see there is still room for substantial savings.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I didn't replace the pump to save money. With my utility cost the pay back for purcase and install will take a while.

Your savings will depend on your utility cost, how inefficient the old pump is, and what speed setting you require. I can't be sure but I think I cut my electric by more than half.

According to what I figure from the plate on it, my old pump used 2,850 watts. I'm running the new pump at 2,400 rpm (850 watt draw) in the AM, 1700 rpm (350 watts) mid day, and the optional low and slow time until midnight is 1,000 rpm (100 watts). Since my pump replacement was during mid season I was still "dialing in" perfect run speeds when the season ended. I'll further perfect it next year. I may want to up that first setting, but you can see there is still room for substantial savings.

chiefwej,

Thanks for you quick response & input. With my single speed running at 3450rpm, looks like I should see some savings as you said. Maybe I'll touch base later this year to see what you finally settled in on as far as settings. I imagine with our solar coming into play, it takes a few tweaks to get the setting optimal for energy savings while still producing adequate pool heat. Thanks again.

Splash,

Thank you!
jayjayaz

Hello jayjayaz, just curious if you've learned any more from the subject matter experts ? I haven't been on for a while but am interested in moving forward. At this point I'm leaning towards the Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed 11018 and looking at installing it myself (I'm seeing the lowest price online at approx $869 with free shipping). Let me know if you have come across any additional helpful info.

I fully support Brushpups comment. I also have a Pentair Intellifo 11018, and it is extremely quiet. As mentioned earlier, I love this beast.

At 1000 rpm, you have a hard time even knowing its running from 20 ft away. Even at 2000 rpm, its much quiter than a lot of other pumps. It isnt intrusive at all.

The prgrammable run times and speeds are a wonderful alternative to an expensive Control System. And no external timer is needed.

As for installing it. It's as easy as it gets. There isnt any special wiring to be done. It's just like any other pump. Just hook up the power, plumb it and turn it on. And dont forget to make sure the drain plugs are tight before you flip the switch! (ask me how I know!) :)

And as a bonus, if your house ever catches on fire, you can probably put it out with this thing! I will flat out pump some water on the fast speed!

Thanks, appreciate the input.

- - - Updated - - -

I fully support Brushpups comment. I also have a Pentair Intellifo 11018, and it is extremely quiet. As mentioned earlier, I love this beast.

At 1000 rpm, you have a hard time even knowing its running from 20 ft away. Even at 2000 rpm, its much quiter than a lot of other pumps. It isnt intrusive at all.

The prgrammable run times and speeds are a wonderful alternative to an expensive Control System. And no external timer is needed.

As for installing it. It's as easy as it gets. There isnt any special wiring to be done. It's just like any other pump. Just hook up the power, plumb it and turn it on. And dont forget to make sure the drain plugs are tight before you flip the switch! (ask me how I know!) :)

And as a bonus, if your house ever catches on fire, you can probably put it out with this thing! I will flat out pump some water on the fast speed!

Thanks, appreciate the positive input.

- - - Updated - - -

I can only add that I love having the VS pump on my system. It's really nice having the multi speed options. It's quiet too. Mine is the Pentair Intelliflo.

Thanks, appreciate the input.

Update: Greatly appreciate all the input. I did end up purchasing & installing the Pentair Intellifo 11018 a week ago. I'm very pleased as others have mentioned. Being that I have solar heating, I'm running it at 1700 RPMs (approx 363 watts) from 10am to 4pm (strong sun light hours). Appears it's just enough to keep it pushing the water through the roof panels. Seems to be warming the pool similar to the single speed pump at 3450. It is extremely quiet - sounds like a fan running verses a motor. Significantly more quiet than my Pentair single speed. Early indications show that this will provide good electric savings. Thanks again to all.

Congrats! I run mine at 1950 for solar and 1100 for skimming filtering. Good stuff and cheap! You'll be happy all over again when you get your next electric bill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.