How long do you wait between adding different chemicals?

Aug 20, 2008
Hi everyone :)

When I was buying my pool chems at a pool store I was told to wait 2-4 hours between each chemical I was adding. With the BBB method do I still have to wait that long??

Thanks in advance for your answers! :-D

Jeannie

The only time you need to wait longer than an hour, with the pump running, is when adding calcium. You don't want to do anything that raises the PH for 24 hours after adding calcium. So no borax, PH Up, soda ash, washing soda, baking soda, cal-hypo, or bleach for 24 hours after adding calcium.

JasonLion said:
The only time you need to wait longer than an hour, with the pump running, is when adding calcium. You don't want to do anything that raises the PH for 24 hours after adding calcium. So no borax, PH Up, soda ash, washing soda, baking soda, cal-hypo, or bleach for 24 hours after adding calcium.

Why's that? :scratch:

Combining calcium additions and PH increases tends to lead to calcium clouding. If your calcium saturation index (CSI) is very low this is not a problem and there is no timing constraint. But as the CSI increases it is more difficult for calcium to remain dissolved in the water. As you add chemicals, they don't mix throughly all at once. There can be spots in the water that have locally high CSI values for a period of time, which will precipitate calcium particles, which can cause white clouds in the water or calcium scaling on the pool surfaces.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.