Left my test kit outside

Twolabs

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 13, 2014
NE Texas
Sigh. I've been so protective of it I can't believe I did it. I was so busy messing with the pool before we left for the grandparents for Christmas, the wife had the kids loaded up in the car and I'm trying to add some CYA via a sock, bring the FC up, pH down...etc etc.

Anyway, I just discovered when we got back that I left the kit out for 4 days (cover shut, thank goodness). But I know it got down close to freezing at least one night.

Do you think I can trust the readings or should I toss it?

Thanks all!

I'm thinking you should be ok, but let's see what some others think. It wasn't ideal conditions but it was only for a short period.
I'm curious as what they would suggest so I can keep that info in my back pocket.

Your kit is likely fine. Close to freezing (but not freezing) is normally OK and far, far better than excessive heat.

Thinking about it a bit, I would suggest the following....

1. Visually inspect each element of your kit. If any of the reagents have become discolored, I would toss them and get new.

2. If the reagents look decent, run the tests and see if your results are what you expect. If your pH has been 7.4 all summer and it's deep purple (above 8.2), I would suspect the R-0014 and replace it, etc. etc.

I have been lucky and always remembered to keep mine inside so I have no personal experience to relate to you. I would suggest that you draw your pool water sample and then go inside to test.

That way, you are comfortable and perform all the tests at room temp and get your most accurate results. Besides, you will be close to the 'fridge where the cold ones are. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Thanks Duraleigh. I doubt they actually froze solid, but I do think it got very close to freezing if not exactly 32 degrees.

I just tested the pH and FC and they both seem like what they have been the last few weeks. I don't have much history with my pool since we're only a little over a month completed. So for right now I'll continue to trust the results until something looks too far off.

Thanks again for the help!

I think they will be fine. I have some experience with this and can say with a good amount of certainty you are ok.

As suggested, if something seems out of line with no explantion then you might want to toss it and try new. I'm betting you don't see that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.