Hayward 1hp seeping water and making loud noise

ROB N

Nov 26, 2010
Calera, Al
Noticed a little water on the equipment pad a while back it looks to be seeping from the pump motor and today when it kicked on it began making a loud howling/growling noise. The pump is 4-5 yearsold runs about 10 hrs a day, could the bearings be shot?

8524C404-FBA5-4A39-906B-A6EE41984BC2-16101-00001414E3F977C9_zps3f0a8ff8.jpg

Here ya go.

Well, I got a little warm I'll be it rainy weather and pulled the pump. With the videos at wethead pump repair and the parts kit, I tore down the pump and installed new bearings and shaft seal. Replaced and primed pump and my pump runs like new again, For less than 50$. Hope this helps anyone and thanks for the helpful advice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I forgot to add, if your front bearing is shot due to a bad shaft seal and you have to do this rebuild, go ahead and order a watersling also, because the heat from the bearing has probably melted and deterioriated the watersling. I found this out the hard way and being in a time pinch made one out of a piece of rubber 18wheeler tube I cut to match the bearing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.