Another Valve Setting Question

Hewie

Dec 26, 2014
El Dorado Hills, CA
So we are the proud owners of a new pool. We used the spa for the first time Christmas Eve! Anyway, I have a question about cam settings and run modes for our pool. The NPC has set the return valve cam so when the controller is in "pool" mode, it is sucking from the pool and returning to both the pool and spa (50-50). He says he always sets the valves this way, but didn't really give a good explanation of why. The downfall to this is if I heat the spa for an evening, and want to heat it again the following evening, all of the hot/warm water was pumped out during the day's filter cycle. Any thoughts on why the NPC would set it this way? Unless told otherwise, I'm going to change the cam so pool mode is truly just that.

Thanks ahead,
Dave
PS I just found this site, but it is great!

Welcome to TFP!

It is important that the spa get some water circulation each day. Typically this is done by running in spillover mode for about an hour, and pool mode for the remaining runtime. Not all automation systems support this setting, so sometimes you are forced to run in spillover mode all of the time you aren't using the spa.

Without water exchange with the pool each day the spa water will need to be maintained manually, and also pose far more trickiness to maintain. Exchanging water with the pool makes the spa just as easy to manage as the pool, something that is decidedly not true of stand alone spas.

The ideal way to deal with this situation in your pool depends a great deal on the capabilities of your automation system, but will always include daily water exchange with the pool.

Welcome to TFP!

It is important that the spa get some water circulation each day.
Thanks. Again, great site!
Understood.

Typically this is done by running in spillover mode for about an hour, and pool mode for the remaining runtime. Not all automation systems support this setting, so sometimes you are forced to run in spillover mode all of the time you aren't using the spa.
Thanks, I'll set the controller to run in spillway mode for the first hour and check it tomorrow.

Dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.