Pentair HP2 Main Pump Issue

KING-OLE

LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2014
Houston, TX
My Pentair main pump (HP2, P/N: 35-5342) hums for about 5 seconds where after it throws the breaker.

I have a Texsun pool tech scheduled to come out tomorrow, but wanted to see if this is a known issue I may be able to fix myself.

I did notice that someone had left the doors to the timers, where the power feeds, open, so I'm wondering if water could be shortening the circuit, but don't know if the pump would then even be able to hum.

Thanks for any comments on this.

Ole

That was it. :p

I made sure to mention it right away, to avoid a case where he would tell the entire pump was bad.

I'm having him come back out Monday, as there's a leak on the intake side of the pluming to the pump, and the filter is spitting out DE.

Regarding the filter, I hate the multi-port valve (pull/push), and especially now when I'm having a bad back after a car accident.

If it turns out it needs repair, I may go ahead and get a new filter which is cartridge instead of DE, as that would not need back washing.

I know that DE vs Cartridge is probably like Ford vs Chevy, but if you have any comments or advise to this, they will be very welcome.

Thanks,

Ole

I am partial to a cartridge because I have one and if sized properly can be fairly low maintenace as well as more energy efficient than other filters. I clean mine once a year and it barely has any psi rise.

Thanks Mark & Dave.

I'll wait and see what needs to be done to my current DE filter before I decide on anything.

The cartridge filter the pool tech guy recommended me, is a Pentair Clean & Clear 520, which Texsun will sell me for 1,325 (plus pluming, labor, tax, etc).

He did say that I could likely find a better deal elsewhere, but to make sure it comes with a good warranty.

Any comments on that filter and/or a good place to buy it will be most welcome. :D

EDIT: I see they have it on sale for 889.99 at poolsupplyworld.com with free shipping.

Thanks,

Ole

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.