I purchased the PE653RC

CAL7

Jul 10, 2014
Orlando, FL
Jumping in here after 1.5 years... hope some of you are still around :) .

I am going all Zwave in my house, but have a simple Intermatic analog timer that turns my single speed pump on and off. I purchased the PE653RC not really knowing the capabilities but expected to figure it out as I went along. (Cheap enough that I would be OK if all it did was replace my timer and give me a remote on-off. So, really low expectations.)

So, here it is waiting to be installed, and after researching it and the P4243ME that I haven't yet purchased, I'm still pretty confused.

Ideally, this is what I'd like it to do:

1. Control a future variable speed pump.
2. On a timer and by manual remote override, turn a water feature on/off by a Jandy 3-way valve.
3. On a timer, turn a single Jandy valve to switch from skimmer to suction cleaner and back (same pump, simple 3-way valve movement).
4. [Stretch goal] Control a solar heater. I have a system being installed in two weeks and I can save some money by not using their controller. Plus, it seems more elegant and future-proof if I can use the PE653RC and Z-wave.

Regarding #4, the PE953RC manual makes vague reference to the 3rd set of low-voltage connectors as a "Solar Sensor PA122" (p.15). And some of the literature suggests it, perhaps with a P4243ME, can control "solar heating" (p.10). But, it's not clear how; and my normally helpful solar installer reports that Intermatic told him that it did not have the temperature differential capabilities to control solar.

These are my issues. I'd be grateful for any enlightenment you can provide. Perhaps just pointers to threads or web pages that discuss?

Re: PE653 connection to P4243ME

To add just a bit more. I don't need to control a spa and I'm in Florida so freeze protection is not necessary. Would like it to turn the pool light on/off via timer. In the future, I want to add outside LED lighting. These last two items could be easily controlled separately by a Zwave hub, but if I could use the PE653RC, maybe it is easier and cheaper. Thanks again!

It's been a long time since I've read the manuals for those devices, but except for solar and the variable speed pump I think it will do what you want. Since you're going to be using Z-Wave anyway I'd lean more toward controlling it that way.

Update: I bought the new P5043ME that controls solar and I have everything on my wish list. As an option, I also bought a 30000 cabinet and put it all in that box, including a 300w transformer for future outdoor LED lighting.

Update: I bought the new P5043ME that controls solar and I have everything on my wish list. As an option, I also bought a 30000 cabinet and put it all in that box, including a 300w transformer for future outdoor LED lighting.

Hi CAL7, where did you find the P5043ME for sale? I am researching controllers right now and am leaning towards this unit as I already have a Vera Z-wave hub for home automation. I can only find the older model for sale (without the p5043ME).

Thanks,
Brandon

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.