Merry Xmas all!! Pool cleaner question

Sep 11, 2013
Cocoa, fl
wife just got me a hayward navigator pro. It's in pool now and appears to be working. My question is should I leave it the pool 24-7? My pump runs four hours a day so the cleaner will only run four hors a day but is it ok to leave in the pool when not running? Thanks all!!

It seems we all do different things. I used to leave my first cleaner years ago in 24/7. The more I thought about it, that didn't seem like a great environment (soaking in the pool) for anything that had seals.

I now take mine out of the water after each cycle. I am not sure if there is a perfectly correct answer but I rest a little easier with mine being removed when not in use.

I leave mine in the water 24/7, but I have a valve on a timer to run it just 45 minutes each day. I'm in a screen, so the pool doesn't require much cleaning. The limited run is for two reasons: 1) It takes away from the skimming action and I want to maximize that, 2) pound-for-pound, pool parts are the most expensive product on plant earth and I want to minimize wear on the cleaner movables.

The last two posts in this thread indicate most pool cleaners have more longevity by leaving them submersed. I cannot scientifically challenge that but it seems to me not as logical as removing it.

A suction cleaner or a booster pump cleaner has no onboard motor so waterproof seals are non-existent. A robot, however, has onboard electrical and must remain waterproof in critical areas. My assumption is that chlorinated water will take a toll on those seals and eventually cause them to fail.

Maybe not, but seems to make sense. Over a long enough period of time, chlorine can begin to eat away at many, many things.

I leave my Polaris 280 in all the time and set it to run for just one hour every day. The only time I remove it is when I expect more than a few people to be swimming that day. I've had to replace the bag on it each season so not sure if the bag degrades more when constantly submerged but they are inexpensive.

The last two posts in this thread indicate most pool cleaners have more longevity by leaving them submersed. I cannot scientifically challenge that but it seems to me not as logical as removing it.

A suction cleaner or a booster pump cleaner has no onboard motor so waterproof seals are non-existent. A robot, however, has onboard electrical and must remain waterproof in critical areas. My assumption is that chlorinated water will take a toll on those seals and eventually cause them to fail.

Maybe not, but seems to make sense. Over a long enough period of time, chlorine can begin to eat away at many, many things.

It depends, I live in Florida and if I take the pool cleaner out, while it might be covered, it still is usually in the Sun, so come out of pool, heat up, go back in pool cool down, one robot broke every 3 to 4 months, that same robot when I finally just left it in lasted another 1 1/2 years or so and it was already on its last legs the last time it was repaired. Now if you take your robot out and store it in your garage every time, then it will probably last longer, but I'm guessing most people really aren't going to do that every time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.