TA is pretty high, but can I live with it?

jeffbg

Jul 29, 2008
My TA is pretty high -- 240. Otherwise, all of my numbers are in line. This is a new pool so I suspect it just picked up a bunch of junk, plus they had to fix a problem with the PebbleTec on the baja shelf (by draining the pool down) and redo some, so I suspect some debris from that made it into the rest of the pool.

I know it says to lower the pH then aerate the pool. How long do I have to aerate for and how many cycles might this take to get to a better number?

Thanks!

- Jeff

There are two issues. First, if your CH level is at all high you will need to lower either TA or CH. Second, high TA can cause the PH to rise rapidly in some pools. If you are having problems with PH rising you will want to lower TA.

My CH level is 270 as measured by the TF kit. Not crazy high. I've had not scaling or anything else. pH has been a bit of a problem, but has been relatively stable now for about 2 weeks. The pool is only 8 weeks old and the acid consumption seems to be in line with what others report for their first year of a plaster (Pebbletec) pool.

-- jeff

If you can keep the PH at 7.8 or lower at all times you will be alright. But if you let the PH drift up above 8.0 you are very likely to have calcium scaling.

For now, this simplest thing to do is to lower the PH all the way down to 7.0 each time you lower the PH. That should not be any extra work and will slowly lower the TA level.

Sorry to invade your post, but I have a similar problem. PH is at the highest 8.2 and TA is at 280 (based on the kit I purchased here). My pool is also fairly new.

What do I do? What will happen to my pool?

HELP! Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jjdurrant said:
You can do it.. I got my TA down to 80 from 290.. took me several gallons of MA and about 7 weeks. :)

Okay, so my husband just inadertantly put the entire gallon of MA into the pool. is this bad to have it all in there at once or was he supposed to only put a bit in at once? (I am pregnant, so he was afraid of my clumsy self getting some on me.)

Now to aerate, do I just turn the pool on (filter is on) and the jets and water features as well?

please let me know. I am going away later this week and don't want to come home to a green pool.

mbolo said:
jjdurrant said:
You can do it.. I got my TA down to 80 from 290.. took me several gallons of MA and about 7 weeks. :)

Okay, so my husband just inadertantly put the entire gallon of MA into the pool. is this bad to have it all in there at once or was he supposed to only put a bit in at once? (I am pregnant, so he was afraid of my clumsy self getting some on me.)

Now to aerate, do I just turn the pool on (filter is on) and the jets and water features as well?

please let me know. I am going away later this week and don't want to come home to a green pool.

What size pool?

How was MA added to pool?

Yes, turn on the jets and water features. They will aerate the pool and raise the PH.

Meanwhile, test the PH and make sure you didn't go way too low. If the PH is below 7.0 you will probably have to bring it up with chemicals. Leaving the PH below 7.0 for too long can damage the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.