LED Upgrade

Jan 17, 2008
Amherst, MA
I have a pretty old (30+ years) Hayward 12 volt 300 watt sealed beam fixture that is getting harder and harder to maintain - because that's whats happened to the cable - it's like the coil spring out of a car. Has anyone successfully upgraded one of these to an LED type - Hayward or other mfg - without changing the niche? I would rather avoid busting up the concrete decking which the latter would involve. Thanks for any suggestions.

Are you saying the wire is bad or the bulb? You could likely easily install a LED bulb into the existing fixture. But if you think the wire is bad for some reason, I am not sure what new fixture would work with the existing niche.

Are you saying the wire is bad or the bulb? You could likely easily install a LED bulb into the existing fixture. But if you think the wire is bad for some reason, I am not sure what new fixture would work with the existing niche.

The umbilical is just getting old and stiff making re-lamping more and more difficult. I'm sure at some point these sealed beam lamps will become unavailable as well so I'm just looking at options. I'd like to swap out the fixture for one of the new Hayward or Pentiair LED ones that come complete with cable and fixture. And if it could be done without replacing niche that would definitely be a plus. Both mfgs say they might fit but cannot guarantee which is why I'm soliciting any direct experience.

Hi jff6791,
you should be able to replace your old light and fixture with a LED one and not have to replace the niche. I think the biggest challenge in doing this is securing the new light fixture into the niche. I hazard to guess that the new light tab with screw may not match up exactly with the old niche.

If this is the case, a pool light wedge will do the trick. Here is a link to what one is.
http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-569-light-wedge-for-pool-or-spa-lights.aspx

Hi jff6791,
you should be able to replace your old light and fixture with a LED one and not have to replace the niche. I think the biggest challenge in doing this is securing the new light fixture into the niche. I hazard to guess that the new light tab with screw may not match up exactly with the old niche.

If this is the case, a pool light wedge will do the trick. Here is a link to what one is.
http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-569-light-wedge-for-pool-or-spa-lights.aspx

Great tip -- thanks for the link, Dave.

John

We have just refinished our pool (built in 1962) and I wanted to replace the old light with an LED light. Our fixture was an American Pool Company light. The fixture was in great shape being as old as it was, I ordered just a LED light from Amazon for 95.00 and it works great. If you want to change the color you just flip the switch on and off. One word of advice if you have an American Pool Company light, there are 2 different gaskets one is Black and one is White. Get the white one it is the original gasket the black is an aftermarket.

This is the light we bought. If it is against the rules to post links, Mod please remove it.

http://www.amazon.com/Color-Changin...Changing+Replacement+Swimming+Pool+Light+Bulb

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.